BMW Z4 roof motor relocation

MAURICE THE MARTIAN

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z4 3.0SE AUTO
Due to the bad bmw design. roof motor failure is a common problem as they tend to sit in water when the drain holes get blocked.Resulting in extortionate costs of replacement of the motor.So to overcome this I've had the motor relocated into the boot . where ive got access to it .Why they put it down in the rear wing I'll never know.In the Z3 its sorted .So I went up to Durham this morn and had it sorted cost £120.only issue is the carpet used to form a cover is a different shade .But I can live with that .
20160219_080422.jpg
20160219_083359.jpg
20160219_113430.jpg

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Well done Mozza. Totally agree its stupid to locate a motor in a location which can fill with water and submerge it. Not a cheap job to get it resolved either, cheapest I've seen cost wise to sort it out is around £600 (not sure if that includes parts or not). Take it to BMW and it's several thousand.

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
I want this done, frustrating that Durham is so bloody far from me.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Due to the bad bmw design. roof motor failure is a common problem as they tend to sit in water when the drain holes get blocked.Resulting in extortionate costs of replacement of the motor.So to overcome this I've had the motor relocated into the boot . where ive got access to it .Why they put it down in the rear wing I'll never know.In the Z3 its sorted .So I went up to Durham this morn and had it sorted cost £120.only issue is the carpet used to form a cover is a different shade .But I can live with that .View attachment 27273View attachment 27274 View attachment 27275
Brilliant idea. Didn't know you could do that.
How long did it take to have done?

MAURICE THE MARTIAN

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z4 3.0SE AUTO
Hi Redline, only took just under two hours, the guys done about 6 now so he's an expert, lol,
All the work is done from inside the boot so you need to be a bit flexibe, ha ha, Unfortunately im not otherwise I would have done the job myself, a little cutting is involved of the metal riser plate to the parcel shelf to feed the cables thro, an thats it ,
But tbh at that sort of price why struggle yourself, most others want a min of £250, and take the roof off , but that isnt necessary,
M

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
What you mean mozz is the carpet used is cleaner than yours =))

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
Hi Redline, only took just under two hours, the guys done about 6 now so he's an expert, lol,
All the work is done from inside the boot so you need to be a bit flexibe, ha ha, Unfortunately im not otherwise I would have done the job myself, a little cutting is involved of the metal riser plate to the parcel shelf to feed the cables thro, an thats it ,
But tbh at that sort of price why struggle yourself, most others want a min of £250, and take the roof off , but that isnt necessary,
M
Roof on? That is very interesting, I thought the roof had to come off to do it. How Did he get to the motor in its original position?

MAURICE THE MARTIAN

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z4 3.0SE AUTO
Hi Pete .if you ever need or fancy doing it will giv u a few pointers.parcel shelf comes out and the passenger side riser mechanism.
At tha same time its advisable to do the rear top mounts as to access them u have to do all that anyway . Another stupid fkn BMW design error.thats the motor in at the back in the black shroud.
m

Attachments

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
Hi Pete .if you ever need or fancy doing it will giv u a few pointers.parcel shelf comes out and the passenger side riser mechanism.
At tha same time its advisable to do the rear top mounts as to access them u have to do all that anyway . Another stupid fkn BMW design error.thats the motor in at the back in the black shroud.
m
Yes I might have a go at this. Cheers Moz.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Those chaps at BMW were clever enough to have realised the errors and sorted this all out when they improved the Z4.

Top mounts easy to access from inside the car and the roof motor safely mounted in the boot above 'sea' level.

They called it the Z3 ;)