Write Up BMW Z4 3.0Si's head to head @ Surrey Rolling Road

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Show time :D. A bit like Highlander - there can be only one!

IMG_1117.JPG

Lee up first... :nailbiting:
IMG_1120.JPG

IMG_1118.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

...and then mine...
IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1125.JPG
IMG_1126.JPG

Was an interesting day with some interesting cars going through while we were there. An E46 M3 pulling an impressive 339BHP, Charlie says these usually dyno around 300 or so. An M6 which was pulling around 480BHP. A disappointed Chrysler Crossfire owner, who after a stainless exhaust and remap was struggling to get near the manufacturers figures.

So.... the answer you are all waiting for!

Both cars performed well, no MAF issues, good air/fuel mixture and he was happy with how both ran. He said this engine dyno's anywhere up from about 230bhp. There are three "power runs" where he builds up the revs each time.

Lee gets the bragging rights though with exactly 260BHP, and mine a mere 1.9% off his with 255.1BHP. BMW stats say around 262BHP for the car, so definitely happy to be within single figures of that!

I'll now post the actual dyno print outs. There are 3, first Lee then mine and a third which shows the two
against each other (after a bit of PhotoShopping!)

Lee
upload_2016-12-17_14-32-55.png

Gaz
upload_2016-12-17_14-33-41.png

Head to Head - really tricky to see, so sorry about that! The top slightly darker lines are Lee.
upload_2016-12-17_14-33-52.png

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
It must be all that rigidity of the coupe stopping any losses through body shell flexing :) !
What fuel were you guys running?

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
What fuel were you guys running?
I usually run either VPower or whatever the BP equivalent is. Lee I think tends to use Tesco super juice as he lives almost next door to a Tesco.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Very interesting Gaz, nice to know your car has all the power it should. Two happy guys I guess?

Tony.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Yeah, both happy with the figures but of course the best is that the engines are running as intended power wise. Means when I start meddling with exhausts, induction kits and remaps I'm doing it on a decent platform!

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Absolutely and a good known starting point.:)

Tony.

Low Rider

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Excellent news both but I'm guessing the fan helps with the air intake as if the cars are on the road ?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
For cooling as well?

Tony

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Well that's a fair result. There was never going to be much in it assuming Mr Joyce hadn't snuck something naughty in when your back was turned! Be intresting to see the results when your both done with your add ons. Will you be going back when you both chipped, super charged and ram aired??

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Good result for you both. Am surprised there's only 10kg weight difference between the two cars (original weight that is) so just a tiny advantage on the road to you there Gaz. Guess you could scape a few more kg from different wheels but not enough to make up the 4 bhp difference. Are both cars still on standard intakes?
So have you got a drag strip session booked for the spring - you could sell tickets and have a trophy :whistle:

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Well, it has to be noted he does have a modest air scoop fitted behind his grills :whistle:

I'll definitely be back once I've sorted out the stuff I want to do, although I never really expect much in the way of gains. Just want everything running as sweet as possible!

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Good result for you both. Am surprised there's only 10kg weight difference between the two cars (original weight that is) so just a tiny advantage on the road to you there Gaz. Guess you could scape a few more kg from different wheels but not enough to make up the 4 bhp difference. Are both cars still on standard intakes?
So have you got a drag strip session booked for the spring - you could sell tickets and have a trophy :whistle:
On the road there is almost no difference between them, just the quality of the gear changes and who hits the pedals first.

The cars are both completely stock, Lee's has a small air scoop behind the grills as I just posted but not big enough to make any real difference.

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Whos is the black 3 with the hard top?

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Interesting read, both cars fairing up well :thumbsup:

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
I saw Paul Gunter on Facebook saying they were there so popped down to have a look. Must get mine in sometime.:)
And why not Mike. Nowt better than doing something on impulse.