BMW Z3 Water Pump Failure

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
As I mentioned last night, the water pump went on my 2.2. Just got back from where I abandoned it and took a couple of pictures.

Looks like the fan blades wedge in the cowl stopping them from damaging the radiator... Getting the car towed back home tomorrow so I can start taking it apart!

2013-12-27 10.03.48.jpg

2013-12-27 10.04.16.jpg

2013-12-27 10.03.55.jpg

2013-12-27 10.04.01.jpg

bruce&kim

Zorg Legend
The West Country
That's good news Gary should not be too expensive or hard to do.

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
That's well lucky could have been so much worse.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
That's well lucky could have been so much worse.
It certainly could have. I dug out the thread from the test drive earlier this year, and that reminded me of what could have been.

Woody100

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
I've been a little concerned about the water pump on my car wondering if it's ever been replaced ? so I've just checked back through all the receipts since new and found it's never been done !!

Just been checking around and GSF car parts seem reasonable and they supply one with the metal impeller, got to be done me thinks !

Thanks Gary for posting glad I read the post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joey

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 16v M44
Ok...I have heard of this issue..time to act by the sound of it!...

Gaz do you have a link to a suitable well priced pump for the mighty M44?..

Thanks

Joe

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
...............do you have a link to a suitable well priced pump for the mighty M44?..
Joe
Changed mine earlier this year fitted a Meyler at ~£31.00 - old link was http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E36-3...38-/370789643627?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:1123

Allow yourself plenty of time - they don't always come out easily as i found out - this may be worth a read
http://zroadster.org/forum/threads/m44-coolant-pump-refusing-to-come-out.2935/
If you're doing the pump you should look at doing the thermostat and ribbed belt while you have it apart.

joey

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 16v M44
Thanks jonco..

Sounds far from straightforward!....

My local Indy was going to be doing it but having read that thread I don't fancy paying 6 hours labour and having to leave the car overnight..mine is also a 98..maybe I'm lucky and it has a metal impeller as yours did..at 59k I'm sure it's fine but can't beat preventative maintenance where this is concerned..

Thanks for the info..

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
.......Sounds far from straightforward!....
It can be straightforward but as you can see a few people have had similar problems - main point I was trying to make was to give yourself of time just incase. Your Indy may have the right jacking plates if it's stuck - I had to improvise and was working outside in the rain

Woody100

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Took the plunge and just ordered the Stewart pump from Bimmerzone couldn't find a uk supplier and it came to £151 with shipping, a tad more expensive but what the hell i guess !!!
It's come with a lifetime guarantee so should outlive me !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joey

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 16v M44
£151....the cost of peace of mind..

Ouch!...

Woody100

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Yea and it probably doesn't need doing but ! You do hear some horror stories and costly damage repairs so your right it's piece of mind !

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Water pump is now out of the car. Only took an hour so that was good. I couldn't get the fan coupling off straight away, but I noticed you could get to the 4 water pump nuts off with it on - so I took it all off in one piece! I'll worry about splitting the parts later.

All the rubber hosing looks in good condition, but I need a new drive belt as one is starting to crack badly

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3

joey

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 16v M44
great news Gary, i'm glad that went smoothly for you as it could have been a nightmare judging by some of the posts..you should have her back on the road in no time..:)

Richard Dunsbury

The M44 Massive
The West Country
Model of Z
Just done a water pump and thermostat on my 1.9 was a job to get pump out but spraying wd 40 down the hole from the thermostat helped it a lot. i also had to take out complete with the fan and take it apart later but managed ok.
i replaced all the belts as well probably just as well they arent too expensive.