BMW Z3 Racing 2014

TMC Motorsport

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
I briefly introduced our race car last year but various commitments prevented me from keeping things up to date.
This coming year I intend to make a stronger effort to keep regular updates coming, including developments on the car, problems overcome and hopefully some useful information for anyone that wants to extract some extra performance from their Z.

Last year we had our fair share of ups and downs, but gradually improved things over the season. At the first race at Snetterton we established the championship benchmark was a Porsche Boxster. They lapped us in the first race in April, but by Donington in October we finished second behind them by only 9 seconds.

Since that day we have upgraded the brakes, which on Donington GP circuit found us around 3-4 seconds a lap!

Spec of the car now is as follows:

Engine:
2.8 twin vanos
Standard internals
Cold air feed
K&N Filter
Air conditioning pump removed
De-cat and modified exhaust system post-cat

Currently fitting the M54 inlet manifold with the adaptor plate for the throttle body, which will be followed by a remap.

Suspension:
HSD Single adjustable dampers
700lb/in front springs
250lb/in rear - converted to coil over
3 way adjustable Front ARB
All poly-bushed

Brakes:
Front:
K-Sport 8 pot calipers & 330mm discs
Ferodo endurance pads

Rear:
E36 Standard front calipers with bespoke mounting
EBC E36 Vented front discs with adaptor plate to fit
Ferodo endurance pads
ABS removed
Inline bias adjustment

Chassis:
Custom Cages 6 point weld in roll cage
Full under-chassis brace
Front strut brace

Aero:
Custom made front splitter & rear diffuser
Single element rear wing

Further developments still to come in weight loss and uprated ARBs from H&R, stiffer rear springs, making the aero more efficient and a few other bits and pieces.

Attached a couple of pictures below, and I'm more than happy to answer any questions if there are any!

Championship dates for 2014 have yet to be confirmed but we have the first test day planned for February 15th at Donington.

Cheers all!

1013393_10151697946987394_2127428185_n.jpeg image003-1.jpg P1010518-2.jpg

Last edited:

TMC Motorsport

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
As much as I would love an M, the total cost so far would probably have only just bought the base car. Bizarrely, the 2.8 is also slightly easier to find championships to race in where we have a chance of running at the front without spending mega money.
I have been making sure to keep constantly developing the comb and scissors as well though ;)

Stormy_be

Zorg Guru (II)
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
Not only will the brake upgrade give you 3-4 seconds on a lap, it will help gain a lot of places.
Braking areas is THE place to overtake.
Being able to brake a second later will make you get the move on others.

Great job Matt.

TMC Motorsport

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
So we completed the manifold swap yesterday, just need to wait for our dyno chap to get back to work in the new year to find out how much difference it has made.
Next plan is the ARB upgrade and stiffer rear springs.

I know the H&R ARB is a popular upgrade, has anyone tried the 21mm rear vs the 19mm? We'll probably go for the stiffer of the 2 and slightly softer springs than originally planned, but wondered if anyone had any experience of both?

Cheers,
Matt

Stormy_be

Zorg Guru (II)
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
Matt,

Don't forget to post the outcome of your dyno-trip ;-)

The H&R's have 2 settings, so you could set it to the harder setting.
Don't know the possible settings on a 21mm ARB.

What rate of spings do you have now? Why go softer?
Isn't it on option to go a little softer on the damping?

Regards

TMC Motorsport

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Dont worry, the results will be detailed in full. Its the torque curve im looking forward to rather than headline bhp figure!

The car has a habit of spinning up the inside rear off slow corners, so I want to get rid of the body roll and keep the tyre in better contact with the track.

We've got 250lb/in coilovers at the moment. We're planning to go to 350s with the 19mm ARB, but it occurs to me that 325s with the 21mm ARB might be a better compromise. In all honesty I think we might end up going for the stiffest option on both.

The danger with going too stiff is unsettling it in the high speed stuff, but I've got plans on the aero side to take care of that.

bruce&kim

Zorg Legend
The West Country
Thanks for the updates TMC I look forward to reading many more and best of luck for the season

Stormy_be

Zorg Guru (II)
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
Let us know when you know your calendar.
Might even take a 1-day-retour-ticket with the tunnel if you're not to far from dover one day.

motco

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
Sounds like fun! The fact that brakes are the most significant lap time improvers is no surprise really. One December when I was committed to a track day at Keevil airfield (my son with his nice and warm Z4M Coupé booked it) the weather was so damned cold that I chickened out of taking my Westfield even on its trailer, so I took my Z3 2.2 Sport instead. The handling isn't like a Se7en, obviously, but it's better and more predictable than I expected (as long as DSC is off), but the brakes wouldn't handle more than a couple of hot laps even at an ambient of c.5 degrees C. The pedal went 'long' to such an extent that I had to abandon any further runs before the lunch break for fear that I'd have no brakes for the homeward journey. The fluid was new, albeit standard stuff, and the pads - also standard - in good order, so it is simply that road orientated brakes are miles from adequate when pressed into serious action. As an aside, DSC is destructive of brakes on a track because it is constantly applying one here and one there to spoil your fun. The Z4M with DSC on had smoke from all four brakes after a couple of laps when my son took it on its first track day. DSC off and a set of decent pads and DOT5 fluid makes the Z4MC a great track day car.

Please keep us informed of venues and dates; I'd love to go along and watch!

TMC Motorsport

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Thanks for the support everyone.
The car is making a bit more progress, with the inlet manifold done, suspension overhauled, ARBs on order and a new rear wing mount in the making.
We now have a provisional calendar as well, which can be found at http://www.team-trophy.co.uk/2014-calendar.aspx
If anyone would like to come along to any of them it would be great to see you!

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
Oulton Park - Sat 14 June 2014......i'll do my best to make

TMC Motorsport

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
The plan is to fit in as many Roadsports races around the Team Trophy as we can. None of the dates clash, but Team Trophy is the priority so we might not make it to all of the 750MC events.

Stormy_be

Zorg Guru (II)
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
Any at brands hatch?
(as that is closest for a day or weekend crossing from the mainland)

J_K

What championships are you racing in?
I'm just building a Z3m at the moment but it's primary use is for the British Drift Championship but would quite like to race it.

Mr-P

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Sold Z3M
What championships are you racing in?
I'm just building a Z3m at the moment but it's primary use is for the British Drift Championship but would quite like to race it.
JK if you need spare M wheels I have 2 rear and 1 front for sale.(I will PM you)

Last edited: