BMW Z3 Racing 2014

TMC Motorsport

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Well that didnt go entirely to plan.... Turns out a faulty temperature sensor is tripping the ECU into safe mode and not allowing the car to rev past 5200rpm.
However, the silver lining to this is that we also discovered we may have a problem with the throttle only reaching 80% of its movement.
The car is now back in the workshop for further investigation, and then we'll be back to TDi for the proper power test when its all working properly! Considering how well the car has been going in testing on only 80% throttle, I'm quite looking forward to experiencing it running at full beans!

TMC Motorsport

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
80% throttle issue fixed! Turns out the pedal stop had moved so that was nice and simple.
I'd highly recommend everyone checks this as it wouldnt surprise me if it was a BMW "performance regulating" measure!

TMC Motorsport

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Sorry for the lack of updates chaps, let me bring you up to date.
The car has remained relatively unchanged so far this year, except for the addition of a roof which has made the car a lot more efficient.
We've raced at Snetterton, Silverstone GP and Silverstone National so far, with top 10 results in all, and an outright podium at Silverstone National in 3rd place.
We have discovered we're giving away a lot of power to the quickest cars, for example we were 21st out of 30 cars through the speed traps at Silverstone, despite finishing 6th overall.
The plan now is to make the most of what we have, before moving to a 3.2 S54 engine at some point before next season. If anyone has a spare one, let me know!
Below is an on-board video of my best qualifying lap from Saturday at Silverstone, which put us 4th overall on the grid.

Next up is Rockingham in 2 weeks, by which time we will have a better diff ratio (again if anyone has a 3.64 LSD taking up space in a shed please please let me know!)
I'll also make more of an effort to keep this thread up to date!

Cheers all,
Matt

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Have you come across a guy called Gary Goodyear at all, I bought my Z3 from him a few years ago. He gets to most of the UK circuits like yourself.

TMC Motorsport

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
That is indeed me struggling to get out of my race suit!

I dont know Gary personally, but he occasionally brings his Lotus Exige along to the 750MC meetings and shows us the way round!

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Gary is a really nice fella it was a pleasure buying the car from him. He has had a very successful career from all reports. I hope you do as well.:)

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Just picked this up. TMC have had their first outright win at Donnington :)

TMC Motorsport BMW Z3 - 750MC Roadsports, Donington 04/10/14
View: http://youtu.be/n9-zLL-IQNU

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Great series of laps, by a really un-scientific means i.e. measuring from the same point on each lap I clock you at laps of 1:24s and 1:25s, I managed 1:30s last week but really need to sort out my suspension to stop the body roll.

Last edited:

TMC Motorsport

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
So it's all gone quiet on here for a while, and there's an excellent reason for that...
Our humble 2.8 Z3 is now a 3.2 Z3M!

We sourced a second hand engine, rebuilt it and have been fitting it to the chassis over the past few months. It ran for the first time on the dyno the other day, and the image below is the power/torque curve, measured at the rear wheels.
We've fitted a stand alone ECU from Syvecs, which is a fantastic bit of kit. Also fitted a vanos delete, but retained the standard cams.
This is the next area of investigation, to get them timed properly to release a bit more power.
I've also got a lightweight flywheel and race clutch to go in, overdriven pulleys and then an airbox.
Hoping to push the power to a reliable 300hp at the rear wheels.

image.jpg

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Thanks for the update, I was wondering how you were getting on this season. Should make the car a little quicker!

Looks like your website is down at the moment though... Is that having an S50 transplant too :whistle:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
So it's all gone quiet on here for a while, and there's an excellent reason for that...
Our humble 2.8 Z3 is now a 3.2 Z3M!

We sourced a second hand engine, rebuilt it and have been fitting it to the chassis over the past few months. It ran for the first time on the dyno the other day, and the image below is the power/torque curve, measured at the rear wheels.
We've fitted a stand alone ECU from Syvecs, which is a fantastic bit of kit. Also fitted a vanos delete, but retained the standard cams.
This is the next area of investigation, to get them timed properly to release a bit more power.
I've also got a lightweight flywheel and race clutch to go in, overdriven pulleys and then an airbox.
Hoping to push the power to a reliable 300hp at the rear wheels.

View attachment 13122
Sounds like more fun then? Have you a list where you will be racing this season at all please?

Thanks, Tony.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Watching this with interest and will hopefully see you in action at a circuit in the South east.

I'm looking at your cars suspension set up and nose down attitude.
The road going Z's seem to be lower at the rear than the front but yours is quite pronounced in its nose down attitude.
Interesting to hear the science of that and how it works on a Z.

I'm no expert but interested as have a new set if coilovers and will be getting it corner weighted so expert real world advice always appreciated from someone who races a Z!