Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Brian H published a new article:

After reading various posts regarding the retrofit of cruise control to the various models of Zeds I decided to give cruise control a go on my car.

My car is a 2002 M54 3.0i build date nov 2001 with a fly by wire throttle. As far as I am aware this guide is applicable to all fly by wire throttle...
Read more about this article...

Last edited by a moderator:

motco

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
After reading various posts regarding the retrofit of cruise control to the various models of Zeds I decided to give cruise control a go on my car.

My car is a 2002 M54 3.0i build date nov 2001 with a fly by wire throttle. As far as I am aware this guide is applicable to all fly by wire throttle Zeds.

Parts Ordered

• 1 x Interface 65.71.8.380.054 - £40.88
    1 x Switch 61.31.8.360.926 - £55.95
    1 x Knob 61.31.1.390.968 - £5.94

Total £123.32inc VAT
The cruise control switch/knob & Interface ready for connection to the car

After removal of the bottom steering column cover the picture shows the the cruise control switch installed and cable routed. The switch just pushes in to a pre defined slot.

Connector in place

Interface Installed

Hole section to be cut for the switch

Hole cut in bottom steering column cover

Switch Installed before covers are put back on

Fully Installed

The job took about 1hr to complete and all works as it should :D any question please ask.
I have PMed Brian with this but if anyone else has the answer I'd be grateful please. I have the interface and switch but cannot find the little three pin white flying socket that plugs on to the interface. I am assuming that it simple hangs around under the dash somewhere but I have looked everywhere it seems, and there's only one 'free' connector and that's black with more than three connections. Where should I look please? Thanks... 52 plate 2.2 Sport M54 engine

motco

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
Their cars are not pure fly by wire - the connections are partly mechanical I believe.

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Hi motco

Replied to your message.

Cheers

Brian

Roary_Z4M

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z4M
Really want to do the CC retrofit to my 2006 Z4MR. Understand that it's a little more involved than the earlier models which can just get away with plugging in the stalk. Would these instructions here be appropriate? If anyone can advise where to get the bits from, that would be much appreciated! TIA.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR

motco

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
My son has a Z4M Coupé and Phil Crouch at CPC Amersham did his cruise for him. It does involve breaking into the loom somewhere near the bottom end of the steering column on that car (S54 engine). HTH

Roary_Z4M

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z4M
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Will give Soper a call. Heading up to Scotland for August bank hol. Would be great to have the CC for that run!

Iron Rider

I have fitted the cruise control in my Z3 and it works well, but the light indicating cruise control does not come on does anybody know how to activate this part of the system?
Cheers.

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto
I don't think there is a light for the cruise on Z3s.

Iron Rider

There definitely is, I removed the speedo console and shined a light from behind to see what the lamp holes that didn't have lamps in them were for and the middle one shows a cruise control symbol. So I put a lamp in to that one but it doesn't come on at any time. I think maybe there is an option in the computer that needs to be activated for this to work?
Cheers.

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto
Well if you find out please let us know as I don't think anyone has it working. Would be good if we can find out.

Iron Rider

Lol will do. I'm trying to source an OBD2 to USB cable for the BMW so that I can get in to the options settings in the computer with my laptop.
No luck so far as I don't think all OBD2 to USB cables are the same. If you know of a source for one I would appreciate that information also.
Cheers.