BMW Youtube restorations

Matt Barnes

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
1998 BMW Z3 Individual 1.9 M44 B19
I know it's not a Z3, but I'm following a guy on YT called .."BadE30".. who's doing a nut and bolt restoration of a BMW E30 (and we know Z3s use a lot of the same mechanicals)...strips to bare metal and is completely restoring it. He lists all the products he uses like rust killer, epoxy primers, tools and attachments.....well worth a visit...

Matt Barnes

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z

Matt Barnes

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Neighbours must love him
actually he does mention that... he limits his outdoor activity to about 2 hours so as not to upset his neighbours... hence stripping, stabilising and welding the underside took him about three months... I'm hooked up with him on Instagram, so hoping I can meet up with him at some point...

Jam03

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2i
Reminds me of an E46 I saw in the very posh village of Crondall in summer.
F55912E8-D6BE-49DB-8A2A-85F00B29AB08.jpeg

These BMW restoration videos on YouTube are addictive! It's amazing to see these classic cars brought back to life. It's made me wonder if restoring vintage cars could be a viable side hustle, but I know it's a lot of work.
On the other hand, some of these channels seem to be killing it with YouTube monetization! There's something about seeing the whole restoration process from start to finish that's super satisfying. But I imagine there's a lot more to it than just filming the wrench work.

Do any of you experienced restorers out there have a YouTube channel? If so, what are your biggest challenges and tips for someone who's new to the restoration game (and maybe even YouTube)?

Last edited:

John_B

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9
I just bought 100x 8mm hex screws to replace the corroded ones on my sill covers and wheel arches - does that count? =))

Matt Barnes

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Do any of you experienced restorers out there have a YouTube channel? If so, what are your biggest challenges and tips for someone who's new to the restoration game (and maybe even YouTube)?
I have two youtube channels...one's mainly music and the other one is a fun character called Mr Plumb who bodges his way through DIY....in terms of youtube it's the time taken to film and edit...the youtube part often takes way longer than the job itself!