Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bleed nipple on a brake caliper

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by Philpatton, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Philpatton

Philpatton Dedicated Member

Evening all,
    I’m just finishing up the refurb of 2 rear Bmw brake callipers I got of a fellow forum member and I want to make sure I don’t snap the bleed nipple when I come to install the callipers. I’ve been spraying a little wd40 onto the caliper where the nipple is to allow it to penetrate the threads since Sunday and I’ve been tapping the area with a hammer to try and break any corrosion that may be binding up the nipple.
    I there anything else I can do to make sure that when I finally try and open the nipple, it doesn’t shear?

2. Althulas

Althulas Zorg Guru (III)
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    M Roadster
    Could try a bit of heat around the bleed nipple area and then spray some more wd40 but if they are well rotted in may need to resort to drilling them out. Mine were well and truly stuck managed to unloosen the rears but my front bleed nipples just crumbled. Best of luck.

3. mrscalex

mrscalex Zorg Guru (IV)
    Supporter British Zeds 3rd Party Trader

I've found they round off before they snap.

I just have a replacement caliper on standby now. Too much hassle drilling out.

4. t-tony

t-tony Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds #ZedShed

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0 Auto
    Use a 1/4" drive 6 point socket not a spanner. Try to tightening direction before loosening.

Tony.

#4 t-tony, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Sean d

Sean d Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 2.8
    Cracking off of the bleed nipple is the first thing I do when refurbing calipers because if one snaps the caliper is only good for the scrap bin, just done these. I like using freeze spray as it contracts the steel nipple and can help break a bond. 20190830_120001.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Philpatton

Philpatton Dedicated Member

Well, after days of spraying with wd-40, I got home today, took my ring spanner’s and took the nipples out. They were very tight, but came out anyway. I ended up using another spanner to lever on the 7mm spanner to get enough force on it.
    I tried my 7mm socket, but is wasn’t deep enough and only captured 1/2 of the nut.
    Next job is paint, but they will not be anything as smart as Seans. They look proper smart!
    P

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. motco

motco Zorg Addict

Model of Z:
    Z3 2.2i Sport
    I have to change my brake fluid - you make my blood run cold with the possible snags! I have bled brakes through the pipe union before now because I was worried about the nipple failing.