Wanted Black grill plastic

Cooper

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
3.0i 2001
Hi, I am after some of the black grill stuff as per the picture. I have a M front bumper fitted on my standard Z3 and would like to fill in the air intake gaps [left and right] with it. So, it doesn't matter if it is broken and in fact I prefer smaller broke pieces that will cover the intakes. If you can post to me in Tasmania I will appreciate it.

Cooper
grill.JPG

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Hi Cooper,
I ordered some metal mesh (powder coated) from one of the many, many sellers on UK eBay.
Then cut it to shape for my standard bumper (but with fog lights removed so needed smaller pieces to fill those holes a bit like the M bumper).
Was very cheap to do and easy to chop and change until I'm happy. I think I will plasti dip mine to give it a more matte plastic look later on.
The metal unlike plastics doesn't crack when you trying to shape it and should be more repairable after you pick up some road kill!

I would think that there are equivalent sellers in Aus.
Alternatively you could try places that sell wire mesh by the meter and choose the shape that you like and coat it with whatever finish you like...

Cooper

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
3.0i 2001
Hi Cooper, Alternatively you could try places that sell wire mesh by the meter and choose the shape that you like and coat it with whatever finish you like...
Thanks for the great idea. Was it difficult to to secure the mesh in the cavity without exposing clasps or whatever?

Last edited:

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
I had the bumper of the car, very easy to do (thanks to guides on here) then it's a piece of cake.
I've just done a temporary fitment and used cable ties. The cable tie holder that you stick one with double sided tape worked a treat and created a fixing point to run the tie through (so no holes made in bumper).
Totally reversible.
Like these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B007JVWDP8?pc_redir=1409490157&robot_redir=1

The plan is to later on put a little rubber edging mesh for that (better than) OEM finish. that is more time consuming.

To be honest even with the cable ties (hidden) you cannot tell it's not anything but meant to be there.
I looked at M mesh and saw the diamond shape but to my eye it looks cheap. So I looked at other brands and was surprised at some of the cheapo plasticy meshes try used too but settled for a 'Kamei style' mesh pattern as on he famous Audi/VW tuner grilles. It's a wider shape more in keeping with the low wife look of our cars to my eye..will put a link, must take a pic too..

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Check out this thread with more detail and a lovely example of an M bumper done: