Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big shootout in Philly right now, six officers shot..

Discussion in 'General Banter' started by FRANKIE, Aug 14, 2019 at 11:34 PM.

1. FRANKIE

FRANKIE Zorg Guru (V)
    American Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    Z3
    I've been watching live reports of a shooting over in Philly on the news. Cops serving a arrest warrant fired upon. Police swarmed the area. Live pictures from Channel 6 chopper show the street where dozens of cops taking cover behind walls and their squad cars, while bullets are hitting the sidewalk next to them. News teams ducking for cover then moved back to safety. Gunshots sounding the whole time. Grew up in Philly and the section of Philly ironically is called "Nicetown". Not too nice right now. Armored cars moving in. Nothing but shootings every night in Philly anymore. Glad I don't live there anymore...................Frankie

Video of cops bleeding being rushed to cop cars to be rushed to Temple University Hospital.

2. Grumps

Grumps Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    2.8 Roadster
    Not good Frankie. Stabbings are big news over here, what's the world coming to?

3. Z Victor 1

Z Victor 1 Formerly "Ontiken1"
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z4 2.2i
    The big difference - Guns! Recently a 'disturbed' person in the UK attacked a boy at the Tate Gallery. Result one boy critically injured,terrible. In the USA the person would probably have had access to guns and may well have shot multiple people.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. andyglym

andyglym Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    2.8 Roadster
    Sad times indeed mate :( I was watching a documentary on the various mass shootings in the U.S. the other night. One Officer was shot 15 times, twice in the head!! He survived and is still doing well today :woot: He's regarded as a hero by the local community as he distracted the White Supremacist nutter away from 15 women and children that were next in his list inside the temple.

5. Z Victor 1

Z Victor 1 Formerly "Ontiken1"
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z4 2.2i
    The police undeservedly get a lot of stick for various reasons, but every time they go out they put their lives in danger and I for one am very grateful they are out there.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. t-tony

t-tony Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds #ZedShed

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0 Auto
    The thing I see happening more and more is that violent crime is creeping into "normal" daytime hours whereas it used to be these drug deals etc. used to happen in the night hours. I see stories of people being shot at gas stations and food markets.

Tony.

#6 t-tony, Aug 15, 2019 at 11:08 AM
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 12:04 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Slam

Slam Zorg Guru (IV)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 2.8 & Z4 coupe
    It’s a sad world

8. t-tony

t-tony Zorg Expert (I)

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0 Auto
    I was watching WFTV.com as usual last night and they were highlighting what was happening in Phiily. And people wonder why officers can sometimes shoot first and ask question later.

Tony.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Ianmc

Ianmc Zorg Guru (III)
    British Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    Z3 (M44)
    Our local school was broken into 3 times this week and "criminal damage" was caused each time. The police are not interested, despite CCTV etc. Seemingly very low on their priority list. Apart from anything else, these kids know they are unlikely to get caught and it must encourage (at least some of) them to move on to greater crimes. Some decent root cause analysis is required. :(

10. t-tony

t-tony Zorg Expert (I)

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0 Auto
    How about making parents responsible for what their offspring get up to ?

Tony.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. andyglym

Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    2.8 Roadster
    I'm far far from being a Lefty mate and I agree, however, the fabric of society is breaking down due to cuts in Social Services, mental health, kids clubs etc etc and savage cuts to the Police.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. t-tony

t-tony Zorg Expert (I)

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0 Auto
    You're correct Andy, but a start has to be made somewhere. I would lay odds also that the vast majority of kids in trouble come from single parent homes. It's a generational thing and to a degree a racial thing as well.

Tony.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. andyglym

Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    2.8 Roadster
    Yup. My old dear used to teach young mum's how to cook mate as they didn't have a Scooby (mainly single and many still at school) Getting rid of Home Economics has a lot to answer for

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Synclare

Synclare Zorg Guru (III)
    Supporter 3rd Party Trader

Model of Z:
    Know Philly quite well, always felt safe there. Guess times change :(

15. t-tony

t-tony Zorg Expert (I)

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0 Auto
    People say the same about Lincoln Adrian mate, and probably most other towns and cities these days.

Tony.

16. Redline

Redline Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0L SI Sport Auto
    The root causes are many and complex...

The banking induced financial crisis
    Governments swinging from one extreme to the other on spending on education, policing and crime, short termism on everything, being constantly disingenuous on money, etc
    Drugs users at every level thinking their own use has no effect on anyone else - completely disregarding the effect that their supply chain has on society etc
    Parents who don’t have parenting skills and are unprepared to take responsibility for the actions of their offspring, or, simply can’t be bothered.
    The sale of wealth creating businesses to foreign owners with the consequential haemorrhage of money (and jobs) from the uk.
    Politicians who have never done a stroke of work in their lives so have no understanding of how their decisions and actions impact people at every level of society.
    Politicians who lie and are deceitful and conveniently forget they’ve espoused the diametrically opposite view and then deny it when challenged.
    The namby pampby state that won’t heap responsibility on people of any age for their actions. A publicly humiliating slap on the ear would solve the behaviour of many. Giving the parents one at the same time would do wonders too.
    People with their heads buried in their mobile phone and not communicating with those around them.
    A society that has simple convenient foods pushed on them citing lack of a perceived lack of time to cook and have family meals.

The list is endless. Am sure there are lots more.

Even if the police catch anyone the culprits simply get a slap on the wrist.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. andyglym

Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    2.8 Roadster
    Yup. On the drugs issue we are simply tackling the wrong end. Forget the low level dealers and simply cut the head off the snake. If needs be simply buy the product from Colombia, Afghanistan etc and burn it. This would cease the drugs fuelled crime in time and release the general public from its misery. Or, just shoot them and the next lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FRANKIE

FRANKIE Zorg Guru (V)

Model of Z:
    Z3
    You make many, many excellent points. And you're right about the family dinners. My father always insisted that we all sit down to have dinner together every night with very few exceptions. We always talked about the day's events and got good advice on how to proceed with any problems we had. My parents were involved with my life. And they never spared the rod when it was needed. We were taught respect to our parents, elders and others. I can see a radical difference in the children I pick up with the school bus. The ones whose parents always see them off to school or meet them when they're returning from school are usually the best behaved. As a school bus driver, it's my responsibility to see the students properly behave, and are seated at all times while I'm driving the bus. After a month or two, I saw that being a 'nice guy' really wasn't working very well. My mother, who was born in the US, was a mix of German, Austrian and Hungarian. She was a tough cookie, and also had military training: WW ll
    WW2+++090.jpg
    So I took a few lessons from her and laid down the law. I told them that them MUST SIT when I'm driving the bus.--no exceptions. I told them that they had 2 choices, choose to sit while I'm driving the bur or choose not to ride on the bus. In saying this, I made it THEIR choice to ride or leave the bus. This way they couldn't say that I kicked them off. One kid left right away and another started to go but was already in so much trouble that he turned around and came back on the bus so as not to get in trouble again. As I was leaving the school, a teacher flagged me down and came on board and asked if I kicked the first student off. I told her of the choices I gave him and it was HIS decision to leave. He got back on, stayed seated and kept his mouth shut. Once I was on the road, when the first student got up out of his seat, I stopped the bus and told him if he got up again, I'd turn the bus around, go back to the school and we would explain to the principal why he couldn't stay seated and the whole bus had to return because of him. He sat down. One student, who I kept in the front seat closest to me to keep an eye on, once told me: Shut the F#@k up and drive the bus!!" I just told him to stay in his seat or he'd be the first one back at school. You can't hit him and I don't think they would be able to do anything with him.......................Frankie

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Redline

Redline Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0L SI Sport Auto
    Nice one Frankie. Giving kids a choice but with boundaries and consequences is part of a parents role. Only then will they consider consequences of their actions.
    Sadly too many children are and will grow up feral and can’t be controlled. They then still expect the rest of us to pander to them, look after them, give them enough money so they can have the latest mobile phones and large flat screen TVs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. FRANKIE

FRANKIE Zorg Guru (V)

Model of Z:
    Z3
    Another incident there last night and 5 more people shot. I don't think that a night goes by anymore that someone doesn't get shot........Frankie