How To Guide Battle Against The Wing Mirror Corrosion!

DanielleHN

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
BMW Z3 2.8i
Hi Everyone

I'm new here as I've recently bought a beautiful Boston Green 2.8i as a fun hobby - it's in really amazing condition for its years although both mirrors have corroded.

I thought this was possibly the end of the world (as you do!) but found some helpful threads noting a particular German trader who sells replacement inners.

I looked into this and kept mooching around when I came across X8R on Ebay - it's a UK based company selling each repair kit for around £95 with free delivery in the UK. For the newbies amongst us, like myself it's proved invaluable as there is a video "how-to" guide which I'll link further down. It's an 8 minute fix - you read that right - EIGHT MINUTES!

I have been looking around BMW breakers but it dawned on me that I'm likely to just experience the problem again and again and again unless the inside of the mirrors change. I have now purchased both kits for the passenger and drivers mirrors

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xZSQAFJIP0

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
Boston green is a very good Z3 colour, the X8R product is likely the best option for what you need, albeit probably the most costly.:thumbsup:

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
Hello and welcome to the forum. My drivers door mirror has that mod.

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
The passenger door mirror, however, did not and has fallen off .... :D
No, it's still there, despite being swiped by my fat arse every time I squeeze past it in the garage =))

That's why the drivers mirror has been changed. It has stood firm for the best part of 20yrs but an encounter with my derriere made it drop off =))

DanielleHN

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
BMW Z3 2.8i
Boston green is a very good Z3 colour, the X8R product is likely the best option for what you need, albeit probably the most costly.:thumbsup:
£189.98 for both which I don’t think is too bad if I never have to come across it again! It’s worth it and the car is a good one so shouldn’t cost much more!

Love it in the Boston Green

DanielleHN

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
BMW Z3 2.8i
Hi Danielle, and :welcome: from me in Cardiff. Nice looking Zed you have there. :thumbsup:
Hi Philip - thank you for being so welcoming!

Ive always loved the Z3 so decided to join the team. Keeping my 425 for work and weekdays and keeping the Z3 pretty for the weekends. It’s all exciting. Would be amazing to come along to an event too so will have a look

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hi @DanielleHN welcome from me too near Lincoln. Loads of info on here even from Z4 owners like me.;)

Tony.

Jjim

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
Hi, welcome from Mansfield.

Just done this to my Silver Zed. Was putting the car cover on at the beginning of winter and both my mirrors snapped when trying to fold them in. :(

So replaced them both with the X8R parts.

DanielleHN

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
BMW Z3 2.8i
Hi, welcome from Mansfield.

Just done this to my Silver Zed. Was putting the car cover on at the beginning of winter and both my mirrors snapped when trying to fold them in. :(

So replaced them both with the X8R parts.
Good to hear from someone else who has used the parts before!

Thanks for the welcome x

Layor

Zorg Addict
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 SDrive 23i M Sport 2.5Ltr. H.T Convertable
Hi and :welcome: Danielle. Don't know what HT means by 'a few are nuts', We all are!:p:p
Colin.

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
HI & Welcome from Gloucestershire :welcome: