Well, having decided to buy a new car (1st time ever), and trade in the old one, We agreed a price so I signed on the dotted line and paid my deposit. However three days later before the new one is ready the old one has decided to put a spanner in the works. I could hear a ‘peculiar’ noise while driving so I pulled over to investigate. When I opened the car door it was obvious something was wrong with the engine. I switched it off and opened the bonnet to see the auxiliary belt very badly frayed but not actually broken, there was about 20% left on the pulleys. There was bits of belt all over the place. So thinking I’ll be ok to get to a safer location (I was on a main road) I got back in the car to move. That’s when I discovered the engine wouldn’t start. So as my moby didn’t work (typical) I walked down the road to a local business and rang the breakdown man from there. So…. It was taken to the local stealer on the back of the truck and I left it with them. Phoned the next morning to be told some of the auxiliary belt fragments had got into the timing belt made the timing belt skip some teeth and therefore that’s why the engine wouldn’t start. So at this point were into a new aux belt, timing belt and tensioner. Rang later to see if it was ok only to be told new belt fitted but still no good so they took the top cover off to find 4 cam followers broken!! Apparently the design of the engine is such that if the timing belt breaks the cam followers break rather than bending the valves when they hit the pistons. All in all the bill came to £862.45.