Anyone had any block paving done??

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
and could give me an idea of cost per m2.

I know prices can vary according to region just wondered what is a typical price and what sort of meterage was done per day..?

Freds Dad

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Snoops we had ours done years ago and sorry I can't remember the price. What I do remember though during my research is that what is prepared underneath is more important than the bricks on top.
If the ground isnt compacted properly along with the sand then you can end up with all sorts of problems.

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Cheers Freds Dad :D

HT - take the SA hat off and put it down, it's gone now..... do you have a sensible hat :-\

B

badman gee

Snoops said:

HT - take the SA hat off and put it down, it's gone now..... do you have a sensible hat :-\
he hasnt, and he had a go at me for it in the past :(

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
Hi Snoops

I'm a bit out of touch with prices but expect £70/sq.m and upwards and take heed of Fred's Dad. He is spot on with his comment about correct site preparation. You will only get what you pay for in this world and you will find prices or quotes will vary dramatically. I've seen lots of block paving over the years and sadly there are more bad examples than good ones.

Besides getting a good foundation there are others variables to consider.
Edge restraint is possibly the most important since any movement here leads to progressive loosening and movement of the whole surface.
Where the blocks are against a wall, building or kerb edge you will be ok. Any "free" edge ideally needs a kerb race underneath it for peace of mind.

On top of this other variables are the block type, thickness and tessellation pattern.
You can have square blocks, rectangular blocks or a mixtures of the two, generally known as tegula.
For domestic use 50mm blocks are acceptable but are more prone to cracking under point loads (eg car jacks and axle stands)
Herringbone pattern is generally regarded as the best for surfaces carrying traffic and a good contractor will never use less than half a block.

Once the blocks are laid it is important to keep the joints full of jointing sand, well compacted and free from weeds. Failure to do so results in destabilisation and movement of the blocks leading to settlement. Pressure washing is very good at destroying block paved surfaces!

Although it can look nice, I think block paving is seriously over-rated and far more trouble than it's worth - and it's not cheap.
Have you considered a concrete imprint solution? This is more forgiving of an uneven sub-strate and yields a single cohesive surface with little opportunity for flora to propagate.....

Hope this helps :D

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
Sorry Snoops but funnily enough we were looking at these this morning to use on a pipe yard and tool storage area. ;)

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Cheers Titan. We were going for 60mm and herringbone and but for a small pedestrian opening and double gates it will all be up against wall either garden or house. My biggest concern you have highlighted is I want this as a clean area to do the cars so not pressure washer but hosepipe.. any thoughts on that.

Snoops ont'apatalk

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
Make sure the external edge at the gates is well supported. This is where the most movement is likely to occur as your cars enter and exit. It is frequently left with a couple of edge bricks that are inadequate. As soon as one moves the ripple effect will become progressive.

The joints between the block are filled with fine sand which aids the locking effect and prevents movement. Too much washing (especially with a pressure washer) removes the jointing sand and destabilises the whole surface. You need to get the joints treated with a proprietary sealant such as sodium silicate. This "crusts" the top few mm of sand preventing gentle wash out from a hosepipe and also inhibits weed/moss growth. A reputable contractor should do this as part of the installation. If it's done well it will look good and should last a lifetime. Sadly it is often poor attention to initial compaction and final sealing that leads to premature, unsightly settlement and failure.

Good Luck!

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
badman gee said:
Snoops said:

Sorry again Snoops but I am just going to hijack your thread.

Listen up Mark, you are probably a very nice bloke but your sense of humor, in the written form, is crap.
Silver Back Gorillas And Vaseline?
I sent you a PM a while back but that did obviously not sink in, so now I am going to do it in public.

We deleted the SA because it caused more bad than good on here. Don't do the same.

As I typed last night, don't push it.

Right, rant over.

B

badman gee

hard top said:
badman gee said:
Snoops said:

Sorry again Snoops but I am just going to hijack your thread.

Listen up Mark, you are probably a very nice bloke but your sense of humor, in the written form, is crap.
Silver Back Gorillas And Vaseline?
I sent you a PM a while back but that did obviously not sink in, so now I am going to do it in public.

We deleted the SA because it caused more bad than good on here. Don't do the same.

As I typed last night, don't push it

Right, rant over.
it was the sa that started all this nonsense, and that was you!

ok the sbg was silly, but not all the stuff i have written has been crap,

other people have put crap on here but its me who gets picked on.

talk about a nanny state.

:eek:)

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
There I was reading my reply from Titan
and having a chat with my other half about imprinted concrete... too much testosterone around here at the moment, I'll come back when my thread gets back on track..

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
Have you thought about looking at examples of paving that or imprinting that other people have had done locally?
If you are getting quotations I would ask to see work done, and not just done recently. Any problems will generally take a while to manifest themselves. It all looks good when it's new!

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Titan said:
Have you thought about looking at examples of paving that or imprinting that other people have had done locally?
If you are getting quotations I would ask to see work done, and not just done recently. Any problems will generally take a while to manifest themselves. It all looks good when it's new!
We are interested in the PIC but is it really slippy in the wet?? a few people are saying it is... I know what you're saying about looking at older work, can you believe one firm had pictures advertising his work and I thought "hang on a recognise that picture" it was from a trade magazine... :-o

p.s. I'm glad you did the same editing as me !!

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
Snoops said:
p.s. I'm glad you did the same editing as me !!
I didn't do any editing - but the last line of my post has been anonymously deleted :-\
Perhaps he wasn't a pretty baby after all.....

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
I'm affraid I'm with Titan on this one.. Block paving can be more trouble than it's worth.. What have you got on your drive at the moment?

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
Hey Hard Top who are you to threaten people with Dont Push It you want to grow up and take a little fun banter.

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
z3cade said:
I'm affraid I'm with Titan on this one.. Block paving can be more trouble than it's worth.. What have you got on your drive at the moment?
We haven't got a drive but we've bought some land at the side of us - part of which we're making into off road parking so we have a blank canvas.

My other half wouldn't look at the PIC initially but he's come round a bit.