Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Good with Electrical Diagnosis? Doors Unlock, but don't Lock

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by Euphanasia, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Euphanasia

Euphanasia Newbie

Brand new here. I'm pretty good with mechanicals, but electrical issues are like Chinese Algebra to me. So here are my symptoms:

With both doors locked, pulling driver's or passenger's inside handle will unlock everything.
    With both doors unlocked, pushing the driver's lock button will lock everything. Pushing the passenger's lock button does nothing.

Driver's side key lock locks, but doesn't unlock, and has no effect on the central locking.
    Passenger's side key lock unlocks everything centrally, but doesn't lock anything.

I plugged in a keyless entry system, and it will unlock the car, but not lock it.

Any ideas? Sounds like it's somewhere in the "lock" circuit, but I'm not sure where to look. Is there a common fault that I should be looking for, or should I be stripping the doors down to see what's happening inside of the doors?

Thanks

2. Murray Wall

Murray Wall Zorg Guru (II)
    New Zealand Zeds

Model of Z:
    3.0L, 2.0L Roadsters
    What year and engine is your Z3. It will help in selecting the right wiring diagrams for your car.

Have you tried to lock and unlock the car from the boot/trunk lock? It should lock and unlock all doors along with the boot/trunk.

Many central locking faults stem from a broken wire in the boot/trunk to lid wiring that is clipped to the left side boot/trunk hinge. Do search on the "loom of doom" to see others escapades.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Euphanasia

Euphanasia Newbie

It's a '97 1.9. The unlock function works from the trunk as well. It seems isolated to the driver's side switch. I'll pull the door panel and see what's up in there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mrscalex

mrscalex Zorg Guru (IV)
    Supporter British Zeds 3rd Party Trader

Not the first place to start. You need to start with the boot loom by the boot lid hinge as @Murray Wall has suggested. 9 out of 10 times it's responsible for weirdness like this. The cables fray from rubbing as the lid opens/closes. Sometimes you can see the damage. Sometimes the binding needs stripping back to check.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Euphanasia

Euphanasia Newbie

Well I saw this too late, as I had already pulled the door card and removed the latch. Fortunately, it does appear that the central locking solenoid was the issue. The gear mechanism is very sloppy, and the inner switches aren't activating properly. With enough jiggling, I can get the lock mechanism to work.

So, a question--is the lock mechanism in the passenger door the same as the one in the driver's door (albeit reversed)? I ask because I have an extra passenger-side door which may contain the correct part, but I don't want to remove the window track and latch mechanism if the part I need isn't there. The malfunctioning part is 67118353012

6. Mazza

Mazza Zorg Guru (III)
    British Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    Z3 1.9 M44 Roadster
    From the exploded view,

The part number you mention is No 9
    302E7579-7D8E-477E-A6F3-8D5F2599C927.png

And the parts list calls up 2 off, So I imagine its the same part on both doors.

74B623E2-CEA0-4056-B55A-B5881710D98B.png

7. Geoff Crispin

Geoff Crispin Zorg Guru (III)
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    3 1.9 & 3.0
    Had same sort of problem, bought a second hand one from our member spursfaninacoupe" and all is well but also on my 1.9 it was broken wires in loom of doom. Geoff

8. Euphanasia

Euphanasia Newbie

So...I did need to take the door apart, as there were issues with the connecting rod for the key-lock. However, after quite a bit of poring over wiring diagrams, I sorted it out. Very simple. That tiny switch in the door latch-plate was worn, and so the computer was registering the door as being open. Once I epoxied a bit of ziptie to it, everything worked itself out. Just posting this in case anyone else has the same issue.

9. Murray Wall

Murray Wall Zorg Guru (II)
    New Zealand Zeds

Model of Z:
    3.0L, 2.0L Roadsters
    Well done, good detective work there.