Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon Prime scam

Discussion in 'General Banter' started by Shelly, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Shelly

Shelly Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds East Anglian Crew

Model of Z:
    Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
    On Thursday I got a call from “ Amazon Prime “ :(
    Saying I hadn’t renewed my Prime , I said I’m sure I haven’t got it or never used it , but then I started to doubt myself if or not I did have it ( silly I know ) I asked if they could phone me back at some point in the day , he said yes :(
    Never got a call back .......
    In the mean time I looked into my Amazon account and see I hadn’t got it =))
    I then phoned Amazon up and told them what had happened, and gave them the phone number what I was called on :)
    They said did I give the person any off my details, I said no :)
    They told me it was a scam and that they had their security team looking into this as lots of people have phoned up and said the same :)
    So please be-aware of scam phone calls ;)
    My son also had a call from the inland revenue which was a scam too :(
    So lots of different scams going around :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. DavidM

DavidM Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    2.8 Roadster
    My approach to random phone calls is to drop the phone after the first few words the caller says.​

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. t-tony

t-tony Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds #ZedShed

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0 Auto
    All calls to our landline are screened by the answering machine, that sorts them out.

Tony.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Shelly

Shelly Zorg Expert (I)

Model of Z:
    I’ve got caller display, but it was a local area code so I answered it :(
    Things people get up too is ridiculous, I wouldn’t have the heart to get money out of somebody, and to do things like that :)

5. Shelly

Shelly Zorg Expert (I)

Model of Z:
    Good idea :p
    I sometimes leave the caller hanging :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jack Ratt

Jack Ratt Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter British Zeds The West Country

Model of Z:
    2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
    We never answer our landline as the calls all go to answerphone. I don't answer my mobile either unless I recognise the number, however my memory is pretty bad and I don't remember numbers so all in all I have a quiet life

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DrWong

DrWong Zorg Addict

Model of Z:
    3.0i
    I generally don’t answer my mobile unless I recognise the number (i.e. it’s stored and flashes up)

If I don’t recognise it, I’ll let it go to answerphone on the basis that if it was a legitimate call, they’d leave me a message

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Bampz

Bampz Zorg Addict
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    My other half had a call from HMRC stating there was a warrant out for her arrest , to know more about the case press 1 , failure could result in her arrest , what did I do ?

Started to pack her case:whistle:

• Funny Funny x 7
  9. mrscalex

mrscalex Zorg Guru (IV)
    Supporter British Zeds 3rd Party Trader

I don't have a landline anymore but when I did I used to say I'm a burglar and they'll have to ring back another time.

If it's one of those robo-calls pretending to be a real person I start to have a conversation. Then become increasingly agitated when they don't respond as expected. Before I eventually cut the call in mock exasperation. I really hope someone listens to that at the other end one day.

And if it's a real person ringing up saying I understand you've been in an accident. I talk all polite and say could they enlighten me as to the date and location as I'm concerned I don't remember being in an accident. They soon put the phone down when I become more persistent than they are :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. benf

benf Zorg Legend
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    3.0 z4
    When I get these calls I just tell them I've got to put them on hold and then leave my phone next to the radio! They soon get the message and hang up:D

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dalek

Dalek Zorg Guru (III)
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 2.2i Auto
    I keep getting phone calls from people asking about the accident I had.
    Last time I just said “Yes it as terrible. But all my own fault... I pulled out if the junction without looking.” She then asked what happened next....
    “Well” I said, “I did not even see the truck that hit me. Killed me outright! Stone dead! But as I said, my fault, so I suppose there is not much you can do for me?”
    She put the phone down!

• Funny Funny x 5
  12. Eddie Zedder

Eddie Zedder Zorg Guru (III)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 2.0
    I also had a call asking if I had an accident recently, yes I replied, last night I drove to the pub, drank ten pints of Guinness, got back in the car, on the way home saw a copper following me and promptly shat myself. Can I claim for new underpants I said, at which point the phone went dead.

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. Mnbrennan

Mnbrennan Zorg Guru (III)
    British Zeds #ZedShed M Power

Model of Z:
    BMW M Coupe / 2.8 roadster
    I've had these

I also got a call the other day from the "life insurance review department" and they could potentially save me 30%. When I asked who the company was they put the phone down

A**eholes the lot of em

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ktnez99

ktnez99 Zorg Guru (I)
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 2.8L
    “Cold Call” on tv recently was a mini series in which this type of scam was featured. It’s organised crime with many making vast sums of money off the backs of innocent people.

15. Redline

Redline Zorg Guru (V)
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0L SI Sport Auto
    Shelly - DO NOT TRUST THE PHONE NUMBER YOU GET. Many phone calls you get nowadays should be treated as potentially suspect. This applies to your mobile as well as landline.

Here's why - Until recently only the telephone company could define what number was sent out as the calling id for the caller. Companies with PABXs could also define which number could be used to return calls. It was highly controlled. Criminals wouldn't go to the expense of installing PABXs and costly lines to spoof the phone number.

However, with new VoIP technology anyone can easily define what number callers see (including mobile numbers). I can spoof any number I like should I want to, even any international number should I wish to. It is incredibly easy to do. In 5 secs, I could be you!

This is organised crime and it is very difficult to detect. They expect you to trust information that previously was entirely trustworthy.

Many scammers use this nowadays for scam calls pretending to be someone else. They often make calls to numbers within the same code as they appear to send calls from. This gives the impression that that they are local to you so have some geographic relationship with you. You are more likely to trust them.

Worse, they often use numbers of legitimate businesses so if you check up, it looks ok. We've had many customers getting complaints from people saying that they've been called from their telephone numbers. When we've checked we can see that no such calls have been made.

My advice - Unless you you recognise the number calling, treat it as suspect. Either use a number you know, or, call back using the number they claim to be calling from. Scammers can't intercept calls you make (but see later). They won't use their own incoming number because that can be traced.

No business will call you and ask you to divulge any information with the exception of banks who may have legitimate reasons of security and fraud. In that case, they may ask you to go through security checks - but, of course so would any fraudster.

If you get a call from anyone claiming to be your bank (and potentially using the banks own number), either hang up and call back on the number you normally use, or, as I do just for a laugh, deliberately fail the security checks. If the caller (bank?) says you've passed, you know it isn't legitimate. Hang up. If they say you failed security you can explain you did it deliberately to prove they have the correct credentials to fail the incorrect ones you provided. Then hang up and call your bank...

Now - what few people know, is that there are (or certainly used to be) two caller ids sent on calls. The CLID that you are presented with can be spoofed, but, Network Caller ID which cannot. End users do not have access to that network id. However, the network providers do. They can, if pushed, use that for deeper investigation. Of course, most calls are now made using VoIP anyway - something that is invisible to you with a normal phone line. Not been in the business for many years, but I expect IP addresses to be used too.

New technology has made it easier to do many things that were impossible before. Sadly, it's also created an environment that allows criminal activity to occur and go virtually undetected.

Another scam that I believe has been closed, is the use of something called Called Party hold timer. They ask you to hang up and then call them back and pretend to hang up by going on to mute. When you redial they are still sat on the line and then pretend to answer. This service was to allow you to put the phone down and then pick it up again at a different extension. BT have removed this from their service configuration. As soon as you hang up, the call is cleared back so it forces the caller off your line. You should get dial tone when you try and call out.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  16. Redline

Redline Zorg Guru (V)
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0L SI Sport Auto
    Just shout as if you're talking to someone with you - "I told you to hide the bodies" and then hang up. If it's a legitimate caller, you'll soon get a visit from the police! :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  17. DelGue

DelGue Dedicated Member

I have an sir horn. Seems they never call back...

• Funny Funny x 2