Am I safe, here?

buze

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Facelift
Ok, received engine mounts, and I have the afternoon off.... So I start jacking the car up and guess what, it starts to rain!

Anyway, before I go under, I just wanted to make sure I jacked the car safely. I was not /sure/ where to sit the stand, 'across' the jacking up point, or 'midway' (as I did). I can still easily move them so no problem here.

I got the car up by putting the jack on the bold for the underneath brace. Was I right? is there a better point? See picture...

Mnbrennan

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
BMW M Coupe / 2.8 roadster
There is a beam running along both sides of the car which is solid. That's where I jack on, then use the jacking points for the axle stands

buze

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Facelift
Are my stands set properly, ie with one side into the 'hole' of the jacking up point plastic?

It's all very spooky, when I lift one end, the other stand 'moves'. I did it one notch at a time, but it doens't feel me with a lot of confidence :)

buze

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Facelift
Well you knwo what? I'm chickening out on this. I raised it 'a lot' AFAIK, but it'd be a tight squeeze to get under there, especially as a newb.

Perhaps I need bigger stands? Or do you guys actually craw with /that/ amount of space? I mean I could do stuff around the wheel arches and at the front, fine... but reaching the gearbox with that space? bleh!!

buze

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Facelift
Hmm yeah, 40cm between the bottom of the front bumper and the ground; not enough for this chap here ;-)

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
If you're nice and slim, built like a limbo dancer you'll be ok. If you're built like me, you'll need another 30cm =))

buze

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Facelift
If you're nice and slim, built like a limbo dancer you'll be ok. If you're built like me, you'll need another 30cm =))
So, how do you do it, I'm neither, but I'd welcome an extra 30cm ;-)

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
You just need some taller axel stands.

Mnbrennan

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
BMW M Coupe / 2.8 roadster
I removed the entire rear axle with about that much clearance!

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
I removed the entire rear axle with about that much clearance!
Yeah, but you're nice and slim, only as wide as one of my legs

buze

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Facelift
Well in any case, after all these replies, *nobody* as actually answered my original questions. Was my jacking safe as it was? Just for future reference!

I'm now looking at these: (That listing becasue he has some nice example pictures). Looks like the ticket?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232339458086

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
If I was working on the engine mounts I'd just raise the front of the car. Also put it in first gear with handbrake on and also chock the rear wheels

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
You can get higher reach jacks than that. They'll go up faster. And are more secure.

But they are £120 ish. My was from Machine Mart but along with my breaker bar are my best tools.

You still won't get much higher than that. And the short answer is you will need to be prepared to crawl around in very little space.

The axle stands I use fit outside of the plastic jack point.

buze

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Facelift
Ah THANK YOU @mrscalex Just what I needed to know...

Given the £120 (*2, I suppose, if I want 4?) wouldn't it make more sense to get the rocking stand I pointed at? I'd get easier access, LOTS more room (it reaches nearly 60cm 'flat' so tilted I'd expect more like 80cm at the front end) and yes it's more expensive but it's a lot less fiddly? Also, I won't need my 'cheapo' jack which is probably OK for changing wells, but not fantastic getting the car high (as I already had to prop it up with ply to reach 40cm!)

Anyone has one of these, or experience using these then?

DavidM

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Well in any case, after all these replies, *nobody* as actually answered my original questions. Was my jacking safe as it was? Just for future reference!

I'm now looking at these: (That listing becasue he has some nice example pictures). Looks like the ticket?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232339458086
Rock the car gently back and forth which will give you an idea how sturdy it sits on the jack and stands. If you are unsure do not get under - but get another two ramps for the other wheels supported with jack stands in the proper places too!

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
The £120 is for a high reach jack.

The axle stands I use are 3 ton and are about £26 a pair.

If you're talking about getting a scissor type whole car lift they are several hundred pounds and a bit of a luxury.

Unless you are going to do a lot of work or maybe you're that claustrophobic I would just invest in a decent jack and axle stands.

Btw I jack under the front subframe and rear axle beam.

And the car is solid on 4 axle stands.