Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Well here I go again ;)
I bought my zed a couple of years ago which I did a few mods to, they included
Inovit DTM staggered wheels 18"
Lowered on Jamex springs
Stainless exhaust and K&N filter
ai393.photobucket.com_albums_pp15_Daz7811_BMW_20Z3_20Pics_DSCF0779_2.jpg

After I noticed a patch of rust on the sills I decided to take them off for a respray. Upon doing this I also found some rust on the front wing panel and the rear quarters were quite badly stone chipped, so this is how it ended up :D
ai393.photobucket.com_albums_pp15_Daz7811_BMW_20Z3_20Pics_DSCF1595_1.jpg

ai393.photobucket.com_albums_pp15_Daz7811_BMW_20Z3_20Pics_DSCF1596_1.jpg

I thought if I'm going to spray the rear quarters,sills,wings and bumpers etc I'm going to strip the whole car and spray a colour I want. I do like the arctic silver it has a nice deep shine although I just love white cars and after seeing a few newer 3 and 5 series in alpine white III my mind was made up.
When I decided I was going ahead with the white I also wanted to modify the car to a spec I want so I had a search on the net for parts such as bumper but could only find fibreglass tosh. Ideally I wanted a set of aerodynamics package skirts and front bumper however these were proving hard to come by. Due to this the only route I could see to take was an ///M replica type with my own twist.
I did buy a set of aero skirts off ebay but they turned out to be for a 1.9 narrow bodied zed so after all the trouble of them not fitting I set about the originals trying to give them some more visual depth.
ai393.photobucket.com_albums_pp15_Daz7811_BMW_20Z3_20Pics_DSCF1600_1.jpg

After picking up some ///M side grills on ebay cheap I jumped in the car one evening to pick them up and boy was I glad I did. I pulled up at the garage where they were and the chap selling them breaks M3's and Z3M's just for the engines which he then ships to america. He didn't really seem to bothered about getting a lot of money for the rest of the car so I asked if he'd sell any other bits. After a bit of bartering i ended up coming home with a full ///M interior including dash and windscreen surround in blue, a rear bumper and carrier and a bootlid with the numberplate panel.

///M parts in total
Front Bumper (Thanks to a tip off from Naeem)
Rear Bumper
Side Grills
Bootlid
Numberplate Surround
Wingmirrors

After getting all the parts I set about prepping them for spraying this included smoothing out all the ///M badge holes in the grills and boot panel.
ai393.photobucket.com_albums_pp15_Daz7811_BMW_20Z3_20Pics_DSCF1375_1.jpg

Next was the front bumper which I smoothed out the sidemarker lights and washer jet holes by cutting up an old rear bumper I had lying about. This was easy to do just cut a template transfer it onto the plastic, cut out then melt it into place with a soldering iron. After that flat down and fill.
ai393.photobucket.com_albums_pp15_Daz7811_BMW_20Z3_20Pics_DSCF1376_1.jpg

After looking on ebay for ages i finally found an aerodynamics package spoiler for a pre facelift car (the 3-piece type) this is the second one I've seen in two years so I snapped it up. As soon as I received it I nipped out into the garage but instantly came across a problem, the rear boot badge. I got round this by chopping a bit of the spoiler away, bit of a hairy moment as the spoiler is made of polyurethane type plastic which doesn't melt back together or fill very easily. This is the result,
ai393.photobucket.com_albums_pp15_Daz7811_BMW_20Z3_20Pics_DSCF1503_1.jpg

ai393.photobucket.com_albums_pp15_Daz7811_BMW_20Z3_20Pics_DSCF1498_1.jpg

Fitting of the ///M rear bumper and carrier. The M rear carrier is identical to the 2.8 widebody model except for the little hole cut for the numberplate light just incase anyones interested. The bumpers a bit out of shape as the exhaust needs to be moved.
ai393.photobucket.com_albums_pp15_Daz7811_BMW_20Z3_20Pics_DSCF1331_1.jpg

Few pics of the shell being painted white these photos are just of the basecoat so no shine will get some of the lacquered panels up later.
ai393.photobucket.com_albums_pp15_Daz7811_BMW_20Z3_20Pics_DSCF5949_1.jpg

This is a pic of the slam panel after lacquer
ai393.photobucket.com_albums_pp15_Daz7811_BMW_20Z3_20Pics_DSCF5952_1.jpg

And a wingmirror
ai393.photobucket.com_albums_pp15_Daz7811_BMW_20Z3_20Pics_DSCF1530_1.jpg

Not bad for working in a tent :D

Next thing that i couldn't resist purchasing was a set of alutec 18" staggered rims.
They are a two piece split rim with:
8.5j Front
10j Rear
The rims are an AC Schnitzer type II replica with quite a big dish. I'm going to split the wheels and spray the centres a different colour. They where the last set which were on display so got quite a discount on them too which was nice ;)
ai393.photobucket.com_albums_pp15_Daz7811_BMW_20Z3_20Pics_DSCF5961_1.jpg

ai393.photobucket.com_albums_pp15_Daz7811_BMW_20Z3_20Pics_DSCF5959_1.jpg

There going to be wrapped in falken fk452's which I already have off my other wheels.

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Re: My 2.8 Alpine White III Progress

Havent you finished it yet daz.. ;-)

I cant wait to see the end result!!!

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo

Looking good Daz. When do you think you will of completed it.
bill

Daz3

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster

Cheers guys I see you have a nice M in your possession Liam looks absolutely stunning! I'm hoping to get mine all sorted before the summer next year so I can make a few meets! Just booked in to get my eyes lasered so get that and Christmas out the way and I can crack on again!

Daz3

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster

ai393.photobucket.com_albums_pp15_Daz7811_DSCF6016.jpg

ai393.photobucket.com_albums_pp15_Daz7811_DSCF6017.jpg

Just a couple of pics to show how I'm getting on.
I'm in the process of refurbing the leather seats so will make a how too guide when i'm done if all goes well. Also picked up some AC Schnitzer splitters from z3cade today cheers Liam and thanks for the trip in the M :D Now I want one

shantybeater

Dedicated Member

I cant wait to see this car built!

P.S If you need a set of M quads i have mine sat in the garage gathering dust

Daz3

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster

shantybeater said:
I cant wait to see this car built!

P.S If you need a set of M quads i have mine sat in the garage gathering dust
Cheers shanty I'm going to have a custom system made due to the battery tray being slightly in the way on the 2.8 otherwise I might have taken the offer up ;)

shantybeater

Dedicated Member

Nice :) you going with prospeed? i've heard only good things about them + the value is pretty good too!

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew

Wow it's looking awesome Daz!! Have you done all that since you got home today? :D

I can't wait to see it in the flesh when it's done.. I glad it was you who took the splitters off my hands there going to look amazing on your white 2 8M B-)

Glad you enjoyed the ride in the M, she's a beast :ymdevil:

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress!!

Liam

Daz3

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster

Shanty: I will be making the exhaust myself I'm a welder/fabricator :D about time my job came in useful

Liam: Thanks for the splitters there going to look cool. I haven't done all that since I got in but seeing a couple of cars spurred me on into taking a couple of pics ;)

B

badman gee

Good to meet you today daz, the car will look great in white when it's finished.

I think white is one of the best colours.

Mark

shantybeater

Dedicated Member

I honestly think color coded centers on those rims would look sick!

Daz3

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster

shantybeater said:
I honestly think color coded centers on those rims would look sick!
I haven't decided yet I originally thought sparkling graphite but now I'm not sure. I may run them in one colour then change when I get bored! :D

Daz3

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster

Little bit more of an update finally got my new spray booth up last weekend so decided to get cracking

This thing is awesome as soon as the sun is on it, it reaches 26 degrees and it also keeps the flies and dust out :D

I've set about the bonnet flatting it down to remove all stonechips then given an etch primer on bare metal followed by 2 coats of high build primer. This has then been blocked down to make sure its flat. Pretty much done the same on the sills except they've had 4 coats of primer so far.

The pics above show the panels with a guide coat so you can see where to flat. Just need to get some more primer now to give them another 2 coats, followed by some more flatting then on with the alpine white ;) Should be ready for zedfest :D

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
My 2.8 Alpine White III Progress

Doing a great job there. Looking forward to seeing it finished :)

zedzen

Dedicated Member
Model of Z

I take my hat off to you for getting stuck in! Doing that level of work would reduce me to jelly for fear of screwing up!!

Rob

shantybeater

Dedicated Member

Loving the spray booth! Not ages till zedfest and lots to do I bet? Looking forward to seeing how that bonnet comes out :)

zedwheels

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds

^:)^
What an amazing project. cant wait to see the end now.....More exciting than
a good movie!! :-bd

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive

Can not wait to see this when it is finished....... :-bd

Daz3

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster

Wow thanks for all the comments everyone I'm really looking forward to start putting the car back together. Going on holiday to Scotland next week so hoping to get a bit more primer on the bonnet and sills before I go. I'm itching to get the sills on the car to see how they look all painted up! Just received another parcel from coopers BMW with a few goodies just wondering whether to get a new windscreen or not now is there any kits available to get rid of light chips and marks? Thanks Daz