All clear but why Falkens?

Warrior

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3.0i sports automatic
After a year of ownership I took my Zed to a relatives workshop for a look at the underside.

Good to report that all is in remarkably good nick.

The main reason for going was to get a closer look at the bushes and to see if there were any reasons other than tyres for the very lively kangarooing and tramlining I experience prior to the rubber warming up. There wasn't..... :coolsteer)

My friendly mechanic has a wealth of experience on all sorts of vehicles from lorries to rally cars and used to service a number of Zeds when they were the height of fashion so he knows the margue.

We got talking about tyres and I mentioned Falkens but he and his co worker, absolutely insisted that Michelins were the only way to go.

Longer wearing, less road noise and just a better tyre all round.....

So why Falkens, a brand i'd never heard of before getting zeddy....?

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
The general opinion about Falkens is that they are a cheap tyre and therefore not very good.
Several people on the forum swear by them either the asymmetric or symmetric variants (452 and 912).
I've just fitted a pair of 452s on my 5 series and can detect no difference from the previous Continental SP3s.
The biggest difference is price
Falkens £144 each
Conty's £220........
I dint have much difficulty in deciding
When the Z is due it will be getting Falkens all round

HTH

Z3nt from m'iPhone on Tapatalk

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
I used to swear by Goodyear Eagle F1's, I've had them fitted to many of my cars in the past. A friend mentioned to me that Falkens were as good and nearly half the price. He was right, now Falkens are my tyre of choice. They are every bit as good as F1's for a fraction of the price.

Falkens aren't any better than the premium brands but they will give you the same performance for much less dosh.

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
+1 for the goodyear f1s - have used them on everything for the last 17 years. Tried other brands/types once or twice but always back to the f1s.

It was explained to me that because the Falkens are/were new in the market (a few years ago now) that while they work on getting the brand name and quality known they are much cheaper than everyone else.

The F1s weren't that much more than the Falkens from what I remember but then Marcus does tend to get good prices :)

Tricky

Model of Z
Z1, Z4C
peteslag said:
Falkens aren't any better than the premium brands but they will give you the same performance for much less dosh.
Totally agree. Saved a fortune putting Falkens on, and performance is the same :D

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Seem to be the best compromise of cost/performance. Put 452's on the rear of mine and never had any issues. Seemed nice and grippy.

Personally not suffered tramlining on my Z3 even with the 18's fitted. Actually found it more likely to wander on the stock 16's it had fitted. Cheap budget tyres on those though. :(

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
ive got contact sport 3s on my M and to be honest i cant tell the differents from the Falken 452s i had on the 2.8...

My rears are half worn and fronts brand new.. so when it comes to having two new rears do i go falkens or conty 3s to match?.... :-ss

will find out price differents...

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
If the ride/handling is the same has anyone looked at the mileage you get from both, that then would be the only difference?

It could be you pay less for Falkens but you get less miles out of them?? Then again there may be no discernible difference??

I've always had CSP3's and been happy and managed to get 4 for 3 deals.

peterandjenny

Zorg Guru (II)
Model of Z
Our winter wheels have michelin pilot sports directional tyres on and feel disconected from the road at times
this weekend putting the summer wheels back on with falken 912's on the front so much better.

Gio

Model of Z
Z3 2.2 Sport
Snoops said:
If the ride/handling is the same has anyone looked at the mileage you get from both, that then would be the only difference?

It could be you pay less for Falkens but you get less miles out of them?? Then again there may be no discernible difference??

Just replaced my 452's, the Z handled great with them, and I got just over 30,000 miles out of them (although most of that is motorway mileage, so they possibly lasted longer than normal).
Now have the 912's all round as these are better at reducing the tramlining.

RodsZ3

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
2.2i Sport
It's not only the tyre, it's pressures aswell. :-?
I shod my 2.2 with Falken 912's last year, amazing differance, and pump all round to 33psi.....works for me. :-bd
Rod

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
Snoops said:

My old Jag went through tyres like a tramp goes through hot chips. The Falkens were the only tyre that put up any sort of resistance.

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Had FK452's on my Jag as well. :-bd

B

badman gee

I prefer vredestein ultrac sessanta. Get a better rating than the falkens.

Cheaper too with a better tread pattern.

Mark

Warrior

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3.0i sports automatic
This is what i've currently got on the front...

Goodyear Eagle F1's

..and Bridgestones on the back...

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
Aceman said:
Had FK452's on my Jag as well. :-bd
A bit of thread I know but can't help asking. What Jag did you have?

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Goodness Warrior - is that a life size photo :-o

Warrior

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3.0i sports automatic
Snoops said:
Goodness Warrior - is that a life size photo :-o
Lol....I don't know how to reduce it... :-B

Lets be honest though it's quite aesthetic..... :)

r37

Dedicated Member
badman gee said:
I prefer vredestein ultrac sessanta. Get a better rating than the falkens.

Cheaper too with a better tread pattern.

Mark
care to share where you get cheap sessantas? Going to buy some new alloys and to have them with sessantas instead of falken is £130 more.

simonbud100

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z3 3.0
I went for Avon ZV5's on the front of the old Z, and they were a pretty good tyre. My father in law who was a VW engineer talked me out of getting Falkens because they were too heavy and a very hard compound which he did not think would suit a Z3.

From everything I read, I still wish I had opted for the Falkens as the Avons were good but not brilliant.