Alarm turning off?

Brian James

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 M43 B19
Hi,
I have heard, correctly ? or incorrectly?, that one can turn the audible alarm off and just keep the lights flashing when the alarm is triggered. Is this correct - apparently BMW mechanics do it when servicing the cars to prevent them from becoming deaf?
Many Thanks for your comments
Brian

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
The photos below show key type and siren for the `98 version - I think yours may be next generation but principle is similar. Black plastic cap is removed to insert key and turn siren off.

2B9E73ED-8E36-4921-9ADE-A85CD60207EB.jpegB0869ED7-D552-4161-A602-14BB1BB2D499.jpeg

NZ00Z3

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
3.0L, 2.8L, 2.0L Z3 Roadsters
There are a couple of different alarm systems used as standard in the Z3's over the production runs. It depends on year and in which part of the world you are. Maybe you could update your profile with your location and the model of Z3 you have?

In general, there is a key switch on the siren. Have a look to see if you have such as switch, then search the stuff that came with the car. Do you have a key? They are rather hard to find a replacement for if you do not have one.

Brian James

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 M43 B19
Thanks guys - it's a 99 Z3 1.9l and living near Lincoln UK.
I will have a closer look and see what is there - maybe even post a photo :)
Kind Regards
Brian

Brian James

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 M43 B19
Hi,
I have now had a chance to look under the bonnet but 2 things become very clear - I do not have a siren like in the above picture. I also do not have a key like in the picture above - I have 3 keys - 2 working remotes and one key without the remote device attached. My keys look also different they have 3 buttons and a small red light. I button for lock, 1 for unlock and 1 for turning on the inside light. The 3rd key is a key for the doors and ignition only.
So what does a 2nd generation siren look like ? and how is it disabled - with another key seems unlikely I cannot see on any piece of "black box" any place for the use of a key.
As stated my car is a 99 (Dec) 1.9l Z3
Any help would be appreciated
Kind Regards
Brian

Brian James

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 M43 B19
Photo now available
I have taken the siren out and examined inside the "black box" siren to see some rechargeable Varta batteries which I suspect are the issue as the car had been sorned for quite some time.
Does anybody have any experience on changing the sirens for a replacement one - is it the same for other BMW cars e.g. 3 series?
As always, any help would be much appreciated
Kind Regards
Brian

Attachments

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
Sorry - no experience to help you Brian, but out of interest is there a BMW part no. on it or a brand name if it's an aftermarket.

Brian James

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 M43 B19
There is a part number on the rearside in yellow ink - but sadly some it is worn off (as indicated by ?), however the numbers read as follows:
12V GB ?52? AIO3 ??
BMW 8 383 ?54 12 ??
Regards
Brian

NZ00Z3

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
3.0L, 2.8L, 2.0L Z3 Roadsters
Time you explored www.RealOEM.com.

Here is a starter for 10, well it's item 6 actually. https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=CM12-EUR-09-1999-Z3-BMW-Z3_19&diagId=65_1011

Click on the part number to see what other cars used this siren. Do you know anyone parting out a Z8? But there are others in the list.

To use RealOEM. go to the homepage above, enter the last 7 digits of your VIN into the search tool and with a few easy clicks, you can search for part for your car. It pays to bookmark the page just after entering your VIN when the car breakdown is shown. That way the page is easy to find for the next parts search.