Aircon barely works, assistance please

Cooper

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
3.0i 2001
Hi, I got my aircon re-gassed a week or so ago as the cool air was not really cold at all. I just tested it on a couple of long runs and it is still the same!

The compressor kicks in and the air is cooled, or cooler than it would normally be, but is still pathetic. I have tried on recirculate, temperature all the way to left in the blue, and like I said - on long runs just to make sure there is time for it to circulate the gas.

Any ideas on what I can go or should look out for? Thanks.

Coops

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
Did you get the system checked for leaks?
I had that once on a Merc. Turned out a stone or something had hit the rad.

Cooper

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
3.0i 2001
I asked him if there were any leaks and I got a 'no'. hmmm. if the gas gets low the compressor will not operate - is that correct? This is why I was wondering if the gas might be in there still. Come to think of it - maybe the compressor isn't actually working but the clutch engages [I can feel a drop in power]. I don't understand a whole lot about this. Thanks.

B

badman gee

You possibly have a slow leak.

Normally cold when gassed but it doesn't last for long

They only way to test for leaks is to inject a dye and then run the car for a while.

You can then check.
As HT says the usual suspect is the condensor radiator I beleive.

It's positioning isn't ideal as its prone to stone damage.

Hope this helps.

Cooper

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
3.0i 2001
Thanks guys, I will take it in tomorrow and get her checked out again. I hope it is easy to get repaired if damaged... or will I need a new one if there is stone damage?

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
Do not want to spoil your day but it cost me E.700.00 for a new rad on the Merc.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
The a/c can be tested for leaks by use of a bottle of inert gas to pressurise the system without using the refrigerant . The condenser is very prone to stone damage,but,at least it protects the coolant radiator which can cause far more money's worth of damage if it leaks!

Tony.

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
A good rad repair shop can usually fix small leaks fairly cheaply or rebuild yours. If you buy a used condensor be sure to get it pressure tested as T- has mentioned. Compressors seem to be another culprit if the A/C didn't get used a lot. They develop a flat spot which leaks slowly. Even in winter here we're advised to turn on the air a couple of times a month for a short period. HTH JIM

Cooper

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
3.0i 2001
I took the car to the mechanic and it is booked in for Monday. He said they would test and re-gas for free but if any repairs are required I will just have to pay for that. Sounds good to me ad I will let you guys know what happens.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Good news guys! The mechanic dyed and pressurized the system and it was found there was a leak in TX valve area. The seal was replaced and re-gassed and it works like new. There was no extra charge for the work and I am happy.
Nice one coops. Pleased for you mate.
Tony.