Wanted Air filter housing, pipework & fittings, Facelift 2.8 (year 2000)

GZed

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Prefacelift
IMG_0757.jpeg
Currently having trouble with my MAF. My Zed has a RamAir filter fitted (inc the blue pipe connecting it to the MAF (see pic).

Noticed that inside surface of the blue pipe is lightly coated with oil to which dust has stuck. To me that seems bad on two counts 1) it appears the filter isn’t keeping dust out 2) oily mist from the oiled? filter would be contacting the sensor inside the MAF. I’ve read that that can cause them to go bad. Given that an OEM MAF from Sopers is £337 even with the forum discount I don’t want to damage the new one. Also don’t want unnecessary dust getting into the engine. (note: I’ve never looked inside the air pipe down stream of the air filter on any car, so no idea on how clean it should be. I was expecting shiny clean?)

Car has a M5230TUB inlet manifold upgrade although the MAF is standard

Would the standard 2.8 airfilter negate the benefit of the manifold upgrade?
If so is there an alternative that doesn’t involve risking oily air upstream of the MAF? ( Maybe the OEM air filter & housing for a 3.0, or an upgraded filter in a standard 2.8 housing?)

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Have you checked the inside of the MAF to see if it is "oily"? I would be tempted to remove it, and the hose, and clean it with brake cleaner. Clean the filter too and re oil with the correct amount of oil. Then see what happens.

Tony.

GZed

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Prefacelift
Have you checked the inside of the MAF to see if it is "oily"? I would be tempted to remove it, and the hose, and clean it with brake cleaner. Clean the filter too and re oil with the correct amount of oil. Then see what happens.

Tony.
Hi Tony,
The inside of the MAF didn’t look dirty or oily. Nevertheless I cleaned it twice with proper MAF sensor cleaner. Made no difference. It was only when putting everything back together that I notice the inside of the pipe.

Having read that over-oiled cone filters can damage MAFs it’s put me off them. Why? Because I’ll always be worrying either that I’ve not oiled it enough to prevent dust entering the engine or that I’ve oiled it too much and will be damaging my MAF. I’m sure others wouldn’t worry as much but unfortunately thats just how I am🙁

Besides, I’m sure I’ve read somewhere on here that cone filters are just bling that look & sound good ( they do!!😀😀) but don’t actually give any better performance than a good ’standard’ filter?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
You ⁷have read that on here for sure. If you're intent on going back to a standard airbox then I would fit a standard filter too, not an oiled variant, or you could be no better off.

Tony.

Pond

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
I have a complete OEM air box/ filter housing from an M54 3 litre with a brand new MANN disposable filter installed if you want it. I bought the filter when I got the car but it has never been used (neither the car or the filter).
It is a complete 'box' which clips directly onto the MAF housing. It is in unmarked condition and has been completely cleaned internally and externally.

GZed

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Prefacelift
I have a complete OEM air box/ filter housing from an M54 3 litre with a brand new MANN disposable filter installed if you want it. I bought the filter when I got the car but it has never been used (neither the car or the filter).
It is a complete 'box' which clips directly onto the MAF housing. It is in unmarked condition and has been completely cleaned internally and externally.
Ooh Yes please, much appreciated. I’ll DM you regarding payment etc