Air bag light is on

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Have you been doing any work around or under the seats to trigger the airbag light? You will need a code reader to reset the light, either one just for the airbag light or one all the systems. You will also needs an adaptor cable to connect to the round port under the bonnet as it’s a Z3.

Tony.

ps. While the airbag light is illuminated the system is deactivated.

guyglemieux

Dedicated Member
Canadian Zeds
Model of Z
Z 3
Haven't had the car very long. Just went for a drive and I noticed that the light was on. Not sure where to start. I don't have a code reader but can a north american garagist use his coding or decoding machine?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Haven't had the car very long. Just went for a drive and I noticed that the light was on. Not sure where to start. I don't have a code reader but can a north american garagist use his coding or decoding machine?
Yes, indeed he can. I have an intermittent issue with my Z4 airbag light and when the lights comes on I connect my Foxwell NT30 and read the fault codes. Attend to the problem and erase the code(s).

Tony.

bertiejaffa

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3M
Getting your own reader might be cheaper than using a garage unless he is a friend - as mentioned above, most airbag light issues are because the seat has been moved and has gone over the wire shorting out the circuit so the car thinks the airbag has been triggered.

Try resetting the light as mentioned with an airbag reset (cheap on ebay or your friend). The reader will also tell you which seat has been "fired". If you look under the seat you will probably find the wire has been chewed - common issue and lots of threads on here if you search. simply fix the wires, re insulate them with tape and then tape them out of the way of the seat runners for future.

ViperKen

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z
1998 1.9
Had the same problem, got an airbag reset tool off ebay, cost about £13, sorted

guyglemieux

Dedicated Member
Canadian Zeds
Model of Z
Z 3
What is the reader code or stock number on ebay?
Have been to my favorite Can. Tire Store. Nope. Then I went to an Napa Association and no dice there as well.
Any product suggestions.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto

ViperKen

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z
1998 1.9
This is the one I got, only reads airbag codes, price has gone up since I bought mine,
Screenshot_20210413-211007_Chrome.jpg

Olliebeak

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
I bought the B800 reset tool as above and it didnt work on my car, plugged it in under various conditions, no reading whatsoever. I think it may be better to go to a BMW indie or auto electrician with the correct diagnostic equipment. This is what I did and the fault codes showed the seat occupancy sensor and resistance in the seat pretensioner wiring. In the end the airbag light was eliminated.

gookah

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Z3
I bought the B800 reset tool and use it regularly.
I don't even bother checking the ignition is off before removing seats etc, because I know I can just reset the light with that tool using the round socket under the bonnet.
Used it on E36 BMW's and plenty of other Z3's, never found one that it didn't work on.

I also have INPA which will do it, but the B800 is quicker, ---- don't need to wait for Windows to start up.

The most common problem that activates the airbag light are the connectors under the seats. These are on the circuit that triggers the seat belt tensioners. The internal connector pins are not particularly tight, so moving the seats or hoovering under them can disturb the connector and momentarily open the circuit, putting the airbag light on.
BMW brought out a new harness fix for it, but I find it's better just to crimp on new bullet type connectors under there instead.

Last edited:

NZ00Z3

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
3.0L, 2.8L, 2.0L Z3 Roadsters
20 pin port under the bonnet/hood. You may need an OBD2 to 20 pin port adapter.

guyglemieux

Dedicated Member
Canadian Zeds
Model of Z
Z 3
I have a circular adapter and a rectangular one. The rectangular one comes incorporated with the tester. The circular one is an added attachment. Is this fine. Now all I have to do is turn the key ignition to on but not start the motor and 2, plug in the tool.
If this doesn't work all I have to do is the reverse.
Is this right Timaru?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
That is correct and follow the instruction booklet which comes with the Tester.

Tony.

guyglemieux

Dedicated Member
Canadian Zeds
Model of Z
Z 3
Made my first test reading and this is what I got. code 2, then code 11.
I guess there's a problem with my seat belt wire on the passenger side.
I had discovered an unusual amount of freedom back and forth on my drivers seat.
I just received the new bushings and will have a closer look underneath the seat when
I will attempt to install them. I could not move my seat back and forth when someone
mentioned to me to give the electric motor a little tap with a wrench or whatever.
It worked. I could move my seat again. Will keep you posted.