advice on brake discs and pads..

joey

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 16v M44
my run of bad luck continues...!

have discovered today that my left caliper is binding onto the disc and has done enough damage to warrant replacements...so wanted to ask you chaps what you think in terms of reasonably priced replacements for discs pads and a caliper..

looking at these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-1-9-16v-Solid-Drilled-Grooved-Brake-Discs-Front-/110426175603

these http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/B...970b4c67f32911035ba87586404a9e0e1f57f6&000027

and these for the pads http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/B...tion/brake-pad/?101110138&1&d2ee7fb4d6de89782

also as the wishbone bushes will be done at the same time I wondered if anyone has the part number for the M ones that would fit my little 1.9 as apparently the power flex can be a pig to fit..

any suggestions much appreciated but must be cost effective, the car has cost me a fortune of late!

p.s part numbers or links would be great as well if you have the time..

thanks gents

joey

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto
Power flex are easy to fit the OEM ones are a pig to remove and refit.

I got new discs and Pads from Eurocarparts or GSF, Pagid for both. I have read elsewhere that grooved disc can be noisy.

Pagid do make pads and discs for BMW among others so they may not go through the same quality control as BMW insist on they will still be pretty similar.

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
As Brian says the powerflex ones are easy to fit especially if you buy some empty mounts and then it is just a matter of bolting them on once you have extracted the old one off the end of the wishbone.

With regard to the brakes any from eurocarparts won't be far off the mark and a safer bet than ebay, at least you have an easier come back if there is anything wrong.

joey

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 16v M44
thanks all...

going to go with the pagid discs,pads and calipers...

will do the powerflex bushes at the same time

my k&n,remap and arb's are going to have to wait until next month!..

also I have a euro car parts 2 mins drive from my house...they are a much better option for me than ebay

B

bonzo

Pagid are suppliers to Lamborghini, and Maserati I believe. I had discs, calipers and pads fitted to Zelda. They are fine. They cost me less than half O.E.M.

Bonzo.

joey

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 16v M44
I have managed to source new discs pads and calipers for both sides all pagid plus the powerflex bushes for £301 inc vat from euro car parts

pick them up tomorrow and they go on the car on fri morning...local indy will charge about £200 labour inc vat to fit the lot...if this doesn't fix the issue i'm stumped..

would do it myself but do not have the tools..moving forwards I think this may well be an important investment!

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I fitted pagid all round inc parking brake shoes nearly 2 years ago.Trade prices. Very happy.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
I fitted Pagid discs, pads and shoes on the rear of my silver Z3. Decent price from Eurocarparts and as well as getting my zed through a MOT retest, worked pretty well stopping the car.

Will be fitting them to Rosie when I sort the front brake shudder out when the weather improves.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I also recently fitted Pagid all round on my VW Touareg as well. Very happy with these too.

joey

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 16v M44
seems like they are the way to go then..the bloke at euro car parts in guildford said they were the best they stock so i'm expecting good things..

having thought about it i'm not surprised my brakes needed replacing..there has been lots of standing water on my commute and that + a hot disc leads to warping..even before the caliper binding issue i'm sure they were probably on their last legs..the tramlining is my main concern at the mo so I hope the powerflex bushes sort it..I just hope they don't find any other issues tomorrow, I just cant afford any more expense at the moment!

wish me luck.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Best of luck....;)

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Stick with it Joey, you're having a hard time of it at the moment where your car is concerned but you will get through it and enjoy the car. Good luck ;)

joey

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 16v M44
thanks chaps..:)

trouble does not tend to come in evenly sized bundles does it!, you are right brian and thanks for the sentiment, I just need to keep reminding myself how much I love the car and that once this is sorted its likely trouble free motoring for the next year, barring the servicing which is generally cheap on these cars..

and as an aside i'm so glad I didn't go with the porsche boxster instead as it was a close run thing between the two cars when I bought in may, as two new tyres and a whole set of front discs,pads and calipers would have set me back at least twice the amount..not to mention the extra costs in servicing..

i'm still very happy with my choice and it puts a big smile on my face every time I drive it..

Last edited:

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Once you get your car all done and you're driving around in the sunshine with the roof down the memory of all these troubles will disappear. Enjoy :)

joey

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 16v M44
success!

picked her up today from my local indy having had all the brake components fitted and the wishbone bushes upgraded to powerflex, she is back to her old self again and there were no other advisories from mr mechanic, so with any luck she will sail through the MOT on feb the 15th..just as an aside I put a bottle of stp injector cleaner in a full tank of vpower nitro and I must say she is much more eager to hit those high revs going through the gears in sport mode and feels responsive nippy and agile again ,

tramlining is all but gone and she stops stops on a sixpence, next month the K&N filter (after MOT) and water pump..

:)

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto
Glad it's all sorted now and hopefully it flies through the MOT.