Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

60 MPH Limit on M1

Discussion in 'General Banter' started by billz, Jan 6, 2014.

1. billz

billz Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0si
    Was watching the news tonight and the Highways Agency are proposing to do a 32 mile stretch of the M1 from Junction 28 up to Rotherham a 60mph maximum speed limit. Was only 2 years ago they were on about putting it up to 80mph. All in aid of cutting Emissions. If this gets the go ahead we all know what will happen next.

2. Brian4

Brian4 Zorg Guru (IV)
    British Zeds East Anglian Crew

Model of Z:
    Z3 3.0i Auto
    That's most of the bit they have just spent millions making 4 lane and with all the congestion the 50mph average cameras made I wonder how 60 will cure congestion and emissions. I bet they will put some cameras up when it first comes in will be a real cash cow for somebody but not us!!

3. billz

billz Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0si
    Its not the 4 Lane part but the 3 Lanes from Mansfield to Rotherham, going past the M18 so drivers comming on the M1 from the M18 will be doing 70mph going into a 60mph Motorway. NOW that is where the money will be made. B-----ds and the accidents will happen

4. FRANKIE

FRANKIE Zorg Guru (V)
    American Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    Z3
    I'll be hearing the crashes from over here.

5. t-tony

t-tony Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds #ZedShed

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0 Auto
    I'm guessing it will be the thin end of the wedge, as Brian says average speed cameras will come next but they should give a " bedding in " time for drivers to adjust to the new changes. It's not that difficult to do, it happened when the seatbelt law was introduced back in the day. Also I've seen it in Orlando where red light cameras have been installed but not activated untill motorists have had the chance to adjust to their presence. However please show me some proof how this will lower exhaust emissions in that area . I'm not convinced.