2000 1.9 Z3 Driver Impact sensor

Danh001

Hi,

I've had an error code 23 (plausibility error) on my air bag module for some time now that does not seem to budge despite throughoughly cleaning the contacts and clearing with INPA.

In short I am throwing in the towel and I've decided to replace the module. My question is which module to buy?

Real OEM lists 65776905454 as the impact sensor (which matches the passenger module on my zed) however the driver impact sensor I have is 65776910678. I know the modules are different as the passenger side has a yaw sensor built in as well whereas the driver side does not. Perhaps someone in the past has has replaced it with the wrong module?

If anyone has the knowledge or a similar model z3 to mine and can confirm the part number of the driver side impact module I would be forever greatful 😅

Thanks,
Dan

Garsington

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Coupe
Hi Dan,

I had a problem with my Passenger side impact sensor 65776905454, I swapped driver to passenger side and established it was the sensor itself as opposed to the connector and promptly found that 65776905454 was quite rare in comparison to other side impact sensors and could only find a new one from LLL Parts at the cost of £148. Looking on Real OEM they listed various other versions that were supposedly compatible and managed to order one 2nd hand for about £10. Fitted it and no joy at all, my suspicion being that the main SRS module is coded to a specific version (Speculating there).

So ordered the £148 version begrudgingly and it cleared the code immediately.

I would suggest sticking with the original part number otherwise it'll cost you £158 like me - Doh! :rolleyes:

Danh001

Thanks for your response Garsington!

What you described seems to match my situation exactly. I just recently ordered one of the cheaper compatible versions listed on Real OEM (65776910678) which arrives Monday so I'll give an update as to how that goes but from your experience it's seems like I might have to pay for the original part😕

Regardless it's good to know I'm not the only one that has experienced this issue, even if it's not the news I was hoping for😅

Garsington

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Coupe
Arguably the 2nd hand sensor I got may have also been duff, but it looked decent enough. Have just checked and I had 6906174 which was also supposed to have compatible. Good luck!:)

minesh63

Hi Dan,

I had a problem with my Passenger side impact sensor 65776905454, I swapped driver to passenger side and established it was the sensor itself as opposed to the connector and promptly found that 65776905454 was quite rare in comparison to other side impact sensors and could only find a new one from LLL Parts at the cost of £148. Looking on Real OEM they listed various other versions that were supposedly compatible and managed to order one 2nd hand for about £10. Fitted it and no joy at all, my suspicion being that the main SRS module is coded to a specific version (Speculating there).

So ordered the £148 version begrudgingly and it cleared the code immediately.

I would suggest sticking with the original part number otherwise it'll cost you £158 like me - Doh! :rolleyes:
Hi

Thanks for the post, my air bag sensor has been on order for 2 years and no luck due to issues with Germany production line issues.

Please can you let me know where/how long it took to get your parts - i've ordered from Vines of Gatwick who seem asleep!

best

Danh001

Hi,

Quick update for this thread. The cheaper alternative module arrived (part no. 65776910678) but I didn't have any luck and got the same error as before, code 23. On the bright side I found a used original module (65776905454) for £30 from a UK breakers yard which should arrive soon so I will update once I have it fitted and fingers crossed working.

It would've all been fine if I had just searched harder in the first place. I've found the most luck with breakers yards.