2 Piece Brake Rotor Conversion?

Scooblitz

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
I have been down the rabbit hole of future brake options as it has climbed a few places higher in the to-do-list of recent with calipers sticking to the rotor. The easiest and most likely option is getting the stock calipers refurbished with some steel lines and some good pads and rotors.

But the question arose, "Would it be possible to run bigger brake rotors, especially a modern 2 piece setup?" hmmm....

I have, under no discernable authority, found out that the Z3 disc brake rotor seem to be unique. I can't seem to find any brake rotors that have the same hat height at all across the BMW range. I think there will be crossover in terms of fitment to the hub studs, just not seating on the mount as needed. I have seen Z3s with csl rotors which seem to fit. For me, this would most likely mean moving to 18" wheels to account for 345mm rotor on the front.

In comes wilwood custom rotor hats. https://www.wilwood.com/Hats/HatList They even do one that will fit over the parking brake too. No idea what size will work at the moment but it could help hit the sweet spot to fit 4 pots on the front with a 340-335mm effective brake disc rotor.

Thoughts welcome.

Last edited:

NZ00Z3

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
3.0L, 2.8L, 2.0L Z3 Roadsters
Attached is a file on the normal brake upgrades for the Z3.

There are other setups with 4 pot calipers and bigger disks, but I have not found enough details yet to document them.

The biggest problem going to very large front disks is maintaining the brake bias with the rear brakes, as there are not too many good upgrade paths.

Good luck with your brake design.

Attachments

Scooblitz

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z

There are other setups with 4 pot calipers and bigger disks, but I have not found enough details yet to document them.

The biggest problem going to very large front disks is maintaining the brake bias with the rear brakes, as there are not too many good upgrade paths.

What a little document. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure i will have some questions for you. Is this available on the site?

Scooblitz

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
I think what i'm looking for ideally is 17" wheel setup with a 4 pot brake on the front and if a 2 pot rear front the same vehicle can be found, i would assume its brake bias would be as intended. Discs seem to be everything. If i could squeeze 4 pots on to a 325mm rotor i really look into what i could get for the rear. The car could be coming off the road soon if i can find some space. I have a few things to organise before brakes but i like to plan.

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
I run a kit that was supplied for the Z3 in the early days of its release by ATE. Other company’s also list them stopteck, willwood, the popular choice is Porsche 4 pots. For the front you’ll be best looking at E36 listed fronts. The brake bias is simple enough to change if needed.

3C7AE158-4762-4E65-9922-21415EC491F6.jpeg

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Are you going to be doing track days to justify massive brakes,

the Nefyn cat

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Actually in Nefyn. My, that took a while.
Model of Z
2.2i Sport

Blimey, that'll be my Z3 in the pdf with the 330i brakes, still on there and still working when I drove it a tiny bit today. International fame at last;)

Scooblitz

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Are you going to be doing track days to justify massive brakes,
Most likely not. The brakes are decent enough as stock but exploring the idea. After totting up the bill for all the parts and fitment, its hefty.I do expect when more m135i etc end up in the scrappy that these will be a viable upgrade. Siding with just a refurb set of calipers for the front for next year.

Reactions: Lee

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Most likely not. The brakes are decent enough as stock but exploring the idea. After totting up the bill for all the parts and fitment, its hefty.I do expect when more m135i etc end up in the scrappy that these will be a viable upgrade. Siding with just a refurb set of calipers for the front for next year.
It's well worth going down the 325 route, all you need is hangers and 300mm discs, makes a huge difference along with z4 rear calipers

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Another route is the E28/E31 front callipers, they're 4 pot Brembos and use the same the bolt pattern as the Z3/E36 front.

Trouble is trying to find a set.

Last edited:

the Nefyn cat

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Actually in Nefyn. My, that took a while.
Model of Z
2.2i Sport
330i coupe calipers are plentiful, discs and pads the same, when I converted mine it cost around £200, including refurbing the second-hand bits and some shiny new discs from Meyle. I'll never need the oversize brakes but they look good in there, and that's good enough for me.;) No problem with brake balance, either.

Scooblitz

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
By chance I happened upon a fellow z enthusiast in a local community page and got talking over his brake project for his Z4, m sport brembo 340 brake calipers. There is no need for a carrier as the caliper bolts straight onto where the carriers would. To get it to fit, hes is using a Vauxhall VXR front rotor 337mm which matches the hat height requirements however, he has used a local machining company to bore the centre to match that of the Z4. He has been happy for me to share his photos of the first mock fitment. Everything lines up ok and disc spins on the hub as it should. Interesting mod considering these brakes are on non m sport models as well in the grey variety as pictured.
received_297652944889531.jpeg
received_925757767898651.jpeg
0.jpg

Last edited:

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
That's a real nice mod there. Those brakes you can pick up for very reasonable money. You'll have to let me know once you've bedded them in if it's worth it.