Z3 steering column joint replacement

Bodhi-z

Gents,

Just after a bit of advice from anyone that might have done this job?
My Z3 steering column universal joint is worn and requires replacement.
I tried to do it today but failed - I was hoping that I would be able to slide it up onto the steering shaft or down onto the steering rack enough to be able to wriggle it out and then put the new one in.
Regrettably there does not seem to be enough travel in either direction which will allow the joint to be removed.
Does the steering rack need to be removed on the Z3 for this job to be done?
If the steering rack does need to be dropped, would I be able to undo the tie rods and the two bolts that fix the rack to the subframe, and then pull the rack down enough to disengage the steering joint without having to undo all the plumbing?
Would be grateful for any advice, I spent hours trawling Youtube but couldn't find anyone that has done this on a Z3!

Bodhi-z

Right hand drive. I think I'm going to have a go at dropping the rack tomorrow, had another look today and it's the only way I can see that it can be done. Would be grateful for any tips if anyone has done this. Thanks.

Murray Wall

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
3.0L, 2.0L Roadsters
The rack is held in place by two nut and bolt sets. They are an odd size. 15mm nuts by memory. There should be enough movement in the tie rod ball joints to allow you to drop the rack without having to take the tie rods off. The hoses from the reservoir may be a limiting factor. If you don't want to disconnect the hoses, try unbolting the reservoir and let it lower down.

Remember to get a wheel alignment after you complete the task.

Bodhi-z

ok thanks for the tip on maybe unbolting the reservoir, will have a go tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Bodhi-z

sorted, nice when a job ends up being easier than expected. By removing the two bolts holding the steering rack to the subframe, there was enough movement to allow the removal and installation of the steering joint - without having to undo any plumbing. Worth doing, steering definitely feels tighter and more responsive.