Underseal Professional Treatments?

Michael Burridge

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z
Picked up the Car yesterday from having the new (recon) steering rack fitted as well as new front wishbones, steering rods and all the bushes etc (Didn't go for poly bushes yet but may consider for rear wishbones in time depending on how these ones last / perform).

Steering instantly feels so much better - the rack was only changed as it had developed a leak but the rest was changed as various bits had been done over time so some were old, some were new and the rear wishbone bushes were shot (odd as they apparently were only changed last year for the MOT prior to my ownership).

The difference in feel is amazing - the car now feels well planted on the road rather than than jittery and tramlining that I was getting before. I'll enjoy driving it so much more now!

Also sailed through MOT which is great news!!!

Back to the underneath - I will be doing this myself. So many good threads and advice on here and I'm now much more relaxed about timescales having got the "clean" bill of health with the MOT. Car wont spent too much time out and about over the winter so hoping to get it all done in time for spring...

Will decide on best options and like others have will post pictures and updates as and when...

Thanks all for your insight and suggestions.

ktnez99

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8L
Good news with the MOT pass. You can breath easy on that score.

So you’re mothballing your Z for winter?

Michael Burridge

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z
Good news with the MOT pass. You can breath easy on that score.

So you’re mothballing your Z for winter?
Yes - great news.... Always a bit nervous when a new car (new to me) goes in for its first MOT!

No - definitely not mothballing the Z - It will just spend less time outside than in the summer months... Still gotta have some driving fun on those nice sunny winter days!

Last edited:

Michael Burridge

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z
Hi to all in these troubled times - I hope everyone is safe and well.

Have taken the combination of lockdown and sunny weather today as an opportunity to start the rust prevention work I was looking to do.

Some great advice on various threads here on removing the outer sills which certainly helped. I've only done one side so far but was pleasantly surprised with what I found.... The outer sill look great on the outside and tbh there's very little rust on the inside. The inner sill (the structural bit) looks very good! fingers crossed that the other side will be similar. Will be giving everything a thorough clean up and treating with Dinitrol products which I'm expecting to arrive today... Pics to follow....

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
The car looks to be in very good condition Michael, great work:thumbsup:

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised as it’s usually the left hand side of vehicles which deteriorate most due to being kerbside.

Tony.

Jonno Bee

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Good stuff Michael. Looks in fine fettle! It might be worth carefully removing the jacking point pads while you are looking at the sill area.
If you do, I would recommend spraying the self tapping retaining stud plastic nuts on the rear pads with generous amounts of WD40 and leave it to soak.
I still managed to shear one off each side even then, but it does mean you can clean everything of accumulated grime and apply the dinitrol to all the metal.

Michael Burridge

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z
Good stuff Michael. Looks in fine fettle! It might be worth carefully removing the jacking point pads while you are looking at the sill area.
If you do, I would recommend spraying the self tapping retaining stud plastic nuts on the rear pads with generous amounts of WD40 and leave it to soak.
I still managed to shear one off each side even then, but it does mean you can clean everything of accumulated grime and apply the dinitrol to all the metal.
I sure will - the screws look very clean but I’ll give them a good spray and leave them before I try to undo them. Had a few challenges today getting everything off but some great tips on here. If the weather holds I’ll do the other side tomorrow and then get stuck in to the cleaning etc. It will definitely be easier now I’ve done one side!

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Might be of interest this process but I would use other products than used on here but shows you how water can get under some of the existing under sealant

View: https://youtu.be/YLAPGqakYXw
Not sure I would use POR-15, in fact I didn't, I have seen some horrors with it appearing still to be rock solid but water getting underneath it.

Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Agree with @Nodzed I did my rear subframe on the zed with POR15, prepped it as recommended using their products and its still starting to peel in places (driven less than 5000 miles since the refurb)

Once the paint has peeled moisture will get under these areas and rot out the metal underneath.

Tom Holland

Zorg Addict
Agree with @Nodzed I did my rear subframe on the zed with POR15, prepped it as recommended using their products and its still starting to peel in places (driven less than 5000 miles since the refurb)

Once the paint has peeled moisture will get under these areas and rot out the metal underneath.
I see, a bit like the plastic arch covers keep most of the dirt away but what gets behind it is trapped and start of the problem.