Suspension arm bushes

Silver Baz

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z3 2.0L Roadster
Failed the MOT today on both front lower wishbone bushes , it was advised last year so not moaning about the garage but I've just driven it back and there appears to be excess steering wheel play , something they may have caused ? Not something I've been conscious of before but then it might be me because the job has just been done.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
TBH, if they have fitted new lower arm bushes it is possible that you are picking up on a lack movement in those bushes, making the steering more responsive? This is what people find after have suspension refresh done, a totally different drive.

Tony.

Silver Baz

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z3 2.0L Roadster
Hi Tony , I can't remember doing so before and it may have always been there but sitting in the car parked the steering wheel has a bit of free play before moving the wheels . How much play is acceptable ?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
On a rack and pinion system with a “standard” size steering wheel there can be a maximum of 13mm movement at the wheel rim before the road wheels start to move.
Hard to see how they could create play in the steering if all the did was replace the lower arm rear bushes? Did they do anything else?

Tony.

ps. If there is more than 13mm of free play they should not have issued a pass certificate.