Sidelight Query

RickyBobby

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
23i
My existing 2.8 has the white sidelights but my previous M44 didn't have any - both on a 'T' plate.

I have also seen cars with orange sidelights.

Does anyone know if the colour was an option and if they were available on the M44?

Also did the sidelights persist in the facelift version and again was the colour an option?

Cheers

Attachments

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
M Coupe 3.2 S50
Every Z3 I have seen has white sidelights.
Are you sure you're referring to the sidelights and not the indicators or side indicator repeaters? As they come in white or yellow?

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Again assuming you are referring to the bumper side lights? Some early Z3s had the side light built into the main headlight unit and no bumper lights. The orange ones are US/Canada and used as running lights as well as indicators, these are illegal in the UK

RickyBobby

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
23i
Again assuming you are referring to the bumper side lights? Some early Z3s had the side light built into the main headlight unit and no bumper lights. The orange ones are US/Canada and used as running lights as well as indicators, these are illegal in the UK
OK that probably explains why the 2.8 has them it was a very late pre-facelift module built March 1999 so I guess there are some which don't ha e the lights like the M44 I had. I have only seen images of ones with orange sidelights in the bumper so can only assume based on what you've said that these were US or Canada cars. Thanks

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Are your side lights in the front bumper or incorporated in the headlight units? Only white light should be shown from the front.

Tony.

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
My April 97 car doesn't have sidelights in the bumper, they are in the headlight unit. I believe the bumper sidelights were incorporated in all Z3s from around Oct 97. Some cars have been modified to lose the bumper sidelights for a cleaner look.
DSC_0002.JPG

Last edited:

RickyBobby

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
23i
My April 97 car doesn't have sidelights in the bumper, they are in the headlight unit. I believe the bumper sidelights were incorporated in all Z3s from around Oct 97. Some cars have been modified to lose the bumper sidelights for a cleaner look.View attachment 156499
The M44 I had was built in August 1998 - that didn't have them.

g8jka

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
All 6 cylinder cars, pre and post facelift have sidelights in the bumper (wider mouth). All facelift models (including 1.9's) have sidelights in the bumper. Only pre-facelift 1.9's don't have the sidelights in the bumper.

The US models have orange sidelights in the bumper and also have red reflectors in the rear bumper.

RickyBobby

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
23i
All 6 cylinder cars, pre and post facelift have sidelights in the bumper (wider mouth). All facelift models (including 1.9's) have sidelights in the bumper. Only pre-facelift 1.9's don't have the sidelights in the bumper.

The US models have orange sidelights in the bumper and also have red reflectors in the rear bumper.
Thanks - that explains why my M44 didn't have them.