Replacing instrument cluster bulbs

jacbey

Dedicated Member
Hey,

I've just bought my Z3 and it's in need of new instrument cluster bulbs, as well as bulbs for the center console. Does anyone know which bulbs I need to replace them? Taking the cluster off looks simple enough, I just don't want to buy the wrong bulbs.

Do these look right?

Thanks for the help, looking forward to learning more!

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
They are not the correct bulbs but can be adapted if you are good with a soldering iron, the cluster bulbs are easy to swap but the console bulbs are a PITA, I think the only place to get the correct bulbs is BMW and they are about £8 each :eek:

jacbey

Dedicated Member
They are not the correct bulbs but can be adapted if you are good with a soldering iron, the cluster bulbs are easy to swap but the console bulbs are a PITA, I think the only place to get the correct bulbs is BMW and they are about £8 each :eek:
I'm fine with a soldering iron, what needs to be adapted to fit?

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
I'm fine with a soldering iron, what needs to be adapted to fit?
The bulbs come in a plastic holder that twist into the cluster, you have to take the bulb out of the holder and replace it with the one you added on the above post, I did it on my last Z, I'm sure someone will post a link to it

littlefeller

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
The bulbs come in a plastic holder that twist into the cluster, you have to take the bulb out of the holder and replace it with the one you added on the above post, I did it on my last Z, I'm sure someone will post a link to it
should have asked sean ;)

Adam Hawkins

Model of Z
Z3 2.8 1998
Hi All,

Stupid question oclock. Can you remove the bulb from the plastic holder and just replace the bulb or do you have to buy both?

The bulb to the left of the dash that mainly illuminates the fuel guage has decided it does not want to work anymore so thats a jb for this winter. Just wondering if there is anywhere better in this day and age to buy new bulbs (and holders if required)

Thanks

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hi All,

Stupid question oclock. Can you remove the bulb from the plastic holder and just replace the bulb or do you have to buy both?

The bulb to the left of the dash that mainly illuminates the fuel guage has decided it does not want to work anymore so thats a jb for this winter. Just wondering if there is anywhere better in this day and age to buy new bulbs (and holders if required)

Thanks
I have some you can have from my Z3 when I changed the binnacle. PM me your address.

Tony.

Rudyrov

Zorg Guru (I)
American Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 L Roadster
Do you think these holders will work?

Adam Hawkins

Model of Z
Z3 2.8 1998
Update!!

On further inspection it also seems in missing the 2 torx bolts that hold the instrument cluster in which suggests its been out before!!

Anyone know what part number these are or where to get them?

Thanks

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds