Project Liz

Ocdste

Dedicated Member
The M44 Massive
Hi thanks for having a look I will be updating as regular as possible, so I have had Zeddy for only two weeks purchased with a trashed water pump no battery in desperate need for an exhaust and a lot of mould spore from sitting for two years doing nothing.
I honestly believe if anyone else had got this car it would be destined for scrap my attachment to Zeddy has been quick and I have committed to bringing him back from the brink.

Attachments

Ocdste

Dedicated Member
The M44 Massive
Spent Thursday working on Zeddy it has become apparent that we can add head gasket failure on cylinder two has occurred so head off

Attachments

Ocdste

Dedicated Member
The M44 Massive
Cleaned the head down today it was caked In crappy oil sludge that took some effort to remove and a load of gunk, all that hard work to discover a crack on the water jacket my head is junk time to source a replacement have it skimmed and fitted. It should give me time to mess about and clean up valves they look like crap.

Attachments

Ocdste

Dedicated Member
The M44 Massive
I have had a few days to tinker and mess about started cleaning the valves.
Question? does anybody ever go as for to sand the valves after cleaning to polish them up or is that a total waste of my time??.

Attachments

Ocdste

Dedicated Member
The M44 Massive
I have had a tinker with these items too and begun the restoration of my cam cover. I’m thinking about doing the cover in crackle paint as I like the look obviously black what do you all think?.
i also have started messing with the center cover though not sure about the German flag colours is it too much??

Attachments

Bazza

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Love this thread keep it going mate, another Zed saved :party:

Ocdste

Dedicated Member
The M44 Massive
Afternoon so yesterday I located and purchased a new cylinder head for zeddy it has arrived today! Can’t believe how fast these guys where. I have included there contact details for others in a pic though I’m sure you already know this place exists.
Thursday now before I can get it to the shop to be skimmed. Oh my crackle paint has arrived too so I will get that on as soon as possible. I have plenty other parts now on order too like a cat converter, new wish bones poly bushes for the lolly pops. Throttle cable head gasket set head bolts new oil service kit again ! Crank case breather hose water pump pulls anti roll bar links cam shaft sensor. Lots and lots to do.

Attachments

Ocdste

Dedicated Member
The M44 Massive
More parts arrived today I also got the head back from re-skim and pressure testing it’s all good so valves out ready to clean tomorrow I also applied the crinkle coat which is looking pretty good I have to leave it 48hrs before I can sand back the fins and finish the look.

Attachments

Ocdste

Dedicated Member
The M44 Massive
What paint did you use for the crinkle coat? Looks to have come out quite good on your pics. Out of interest are you lapping you’re valves to the new head?
I used VHT Wrinkle Plus, it has worked really well. I thought it wasn’t going to work at all at first, the next time I looked at it There was a little patch and then within two hours it had totally crinkled right up, I am very pleased.
I now have two sets of valves and will be using the valves from the replacement head, they will be cleaned down and Lapped, it makes sense and is best practice. Once this is done I won’t be going back in there. New valve stem oil seals too job done then.

Ocdste

Dedicated Member
The M44 Massive
Valves all cleaned up now ready to be fitted back into the head once the gasket kit arrives. I have also managed to scrape the crinkle coat off of the fins, sounds worse than it is and I have seen a few people do this on videos now, hopefully it will reduce the time I spend sanding and minimise dust ruining my finish.

Attachments

Ocdste

Dedicated Member
The M44 Massive
Gasket set has finally arrived so I can fit the valve stem oil seals and get the valves lapped back in ready to refit. got to do some house work first happy wife happy life.

Ocdste

Dedicated Member
The M44 Massive
A busy afternoon, valves lapped had a little helper for that today, springs and collets in, lifters, rollers and cams (not bolted down tight) all in, plenty more prep to do before the head gets re fitted. Aim is for the head to be back on early October, giving me the time to sort fuel lines, fit the new exhaust, breaks ect ect and give that engine bay a proper good clean.

Attachments

Ocdste

Dedicated Member
The M44 Massive
Got a small amount of time to do some work Before the head fit happens so chopped the old exhaust out as we have a brand new system to put in changed a few other parts and a Little investigation into the old mot advisory’s like corroded fuel lines, they look okay to me :whistle: probably going to have To cut out the rot and replace with fuel hose, for now until I can build full fuel lines. On a positive there looks like a load of rust under there but those floor pans are solid as a rock👊

Attachments