Noise

Gremlin

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 1.9
Can some one tell me if there 1.9 has a road noise that sounds like dry wheel bearings mine had this noise when I bought it, so when I rebuilt the car I put on all new wheel bearings front and rear and upgraded all the suspension to power flex bushing. when finished it still had what I’d describe as a dry bearing sound. I knew the diff had a bit of play in it so I purchased and fitted a really nice diff and while I was about it I changed the prop shaft centre bearing complete with rubber mount, I still have this noise which is very annoying constantly in the in the back ground all the time.
It is not a wine but as I say it sounds like a dry bearing and I know it‘s on the rear end, I’ve been told it could possibly be tyre noise as I run on Avon tyres which can give road noise. I will no doubt find out when I get the car back from body shop as I’m fitting new wheels and tyres, I am looking to go with Dunlop as it would appear that they have good press on road noise with in car decibels low at 67.
I’ve not had a ride in another Zed as yet to see if it sounds the same can any one come up with suggestions as to what this noise may be.
just in case question is asked about tyre size I run Front 225/40sr 18 rear 255/35sr18 at 32lsb all round.

GZed

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Prefacelift
I get it on mine sometimes, especially if car had been unused for a while. I’m pretty sure it’s from the handbrake shoes - the handbrake on Zeds doesn’t use the rear disc pads but has a separate small drum brake (with shoes) incorporated into the centre of the disc. The shoes don’t always release fully and/or rust on the braking surface of the drum causes the shoes to drag and make that dry swishing sound. I now always leave the handbrake ’off’ when storing my car for winter and ‘work’ the handbrake lever once or twice a month to prevent things from seizing.

GZed

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Prefacelift
I get it on mine sometimes, especially if car had been unused for a while. I’m pretty sure it’s from the handbrake shoes - the handbrake on Zeds doesn’t use the rear disc pads but has a separate small drum brake incorporated into the centre of the disc. The shoes don’t always release fully and/or rust on the braking surface of the drum causes the shoes to drag and make that dry swishing sound. I now always leave the handbrake ’off’ when storing my car for winter and ‘work’ the handbrake lever once or twice a month to keep things moving.

Gremlin

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 1.9
I get it on mine sometimes, especially if car had been unused for a while. I’m pretty sure it’s from the handbrake shoes - the handbrake on Zeds doesn’t use the rear disc pads but has a separate small drum brake incorporated into the centre of the disc. The shoes don’t always release fully and/or rust on the braking surface of the drum causes the shoes to drag and make that dry swishing sound. I now always leave the handbrake ’off’ when storing my car for winter and ‘work’ the handbrake lever once or twice a month to keep things moving.
Yes I do have drilled and grooved disc, do you know I’d not given the hand brake shoes a thought but yes I quite agree that could well be the noise. I do tend to keep my handbrake adjusted well up because my driveway is steep, although it dose release fully when released the wheels don’t stick but I always adjust them so there is a very slight drag,or when handbrake is applied it will not hold car. I will try something now you’ve mentioned this I will wind the shoes right back and go for a run see if this makes a difference.
I had the same noise on a Rover 25 and that had drum brakes rear I always thought that was a wheel bearing noise.
thanks will let you know but it will have to wait until I get car back from body shop.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
It's most likely the drilled/grooved discs that are making the noise, My Z4 does it and it is quite common. Sounds like a light wheel bearing rumble?

Tony.

Gremlin

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 1.9
It's most likely the drilled/grooved discs that are making the noise, My Z4 does it and it is quite common. Sounds like a light wheel bearing rumble?

Tony.
Yes that’s the noise trouble is when you focus on it it sounds even louder.