My, how they’ve grown.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 Auto
No wonder we all find parking spaces seem to be shrinking, but really it’s that the cars have “grown”, take the Mini for an example almost 25% longer than the original Mini. Not so mimi after all really, just 80mm shorter than my Z4.

1617790457955.png

Tony.

Toby

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Yep been saying this for years.
Worryingly folks still tend to be able to just fit in these larger cars ;) :cool:

ktnez99

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8L
It’s to cater for a larger population*
*read this how you will 😀

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
There's two parts to this. Yes, many cars have grown in size simply as people want (or need??!) larger cars. However, some part of that is to accommodate additional safety cell and energy absorption parts within the structural fabric of the car. That simply needs more space to provide the greatest protection in serious accidents. The larger the car, the more space needed.

That said, I recall something told to me by an A&E consultant. Surround yourself by as much metal as possible. Serious injuries and worse tend to be less in those involved in accidents in larger cars. This was after the front of the peugeot 405 we were in was shortened by over 4 feet! Modern cars thankfully are even better.

Of course, that doesn't entirely explain the Chelsea tractor syndrome. That is just status.... Nothing to do with need or even safety.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 Auto
And doesn't explain why parking spaces haven't grown by equal amounts. There's no wonder why nearly all cars have carpark rash. Worse with 2 door, 4 seat cars, in general roadsters aren't too bad.

Tony.

Tony.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
And doesn't explain why parking spaces haven't grown by equal amounts. There's no wonder why nearly all cars have carpark rash. Worse with 2 door, 4 seat cars, in general roadsters aren't too bad.

Tony.

Tony.
Most of the new car parks I've used (in Leicester for example) their spaces are a good size even for much bigger sized cars. Never had a problem there. New builds do tend to accommodate larger cars. I suspect the problems are in those older space limited car parks. Do they reduce the number of spaces and further reduce the number of spaces available so pushing problems elsewhere. Some old multi-story carparks are tiny and cramped affairs. It is impossible to grow spaces without reducing capacity.

A local shopping area near us built 30+ years ago has tiny spaces. But, the carpark is nearly always full. To resize would lose 4 or 5 or more spaces out of 20 or so. More and more people would then simply park in the disabled bays or drive into town to Asda etc. That's a no win situation. Growing spaces isn't easy to do everywhere.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 Auto
I guess the ones round here were made with an elastic tape measure, the other thing they do is put diamond shape raised curbs which take up valuable space.

Tony.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
I guess the ones round here were made with an elastic tape measure, the other thing they do is put diamond shape raised curbs which take up valuable space.

Tony.
They're simply to stop hooligans like Lee doing donuts =))

Dado

Dedicated Member
I kind of agree with all the comments here for both sides but how can places like Costco (other supermarkets are available) have huge parking spaces, maybe because of the American influence do you think, personally living where I do I would gladly see a reduction in number of spaces to allow for larger spaces, most of the supermarkets around here, I have never seen the carpark full enough that a few spaces less would matter.
I realise that wouldn't work everywhere but where its possible it would be useful.
One car park not far away the spaces are so small on one occasion in the Z3 I could only squeeze between the car and open the door enough to reach the roof clips, managed to drop the roof and get the handbrake off and push the car forward enough to get in, I laughed (not), it was raining too, fortunately it was level ground......
Glad I don't have a car with big gullwing doors....
Maybe if all cars had sliding doors the problem would be solved.