MOT today

ViperKen

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
1998 1.9
After some advise, again
Well it seems that all my 'hard' work over lockdown has paid off, car is mechanically sound, however, it has failed on Emissions.
This is the first MOT while in my ownership, and I've never had an Emission fail on any of my previous cars, so not really sure what my next move is.
The garage has suggested it could be related to Lambda sensor and are going to check it out next week.
In the meanwhile is there anything else I could/should be looking at.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
After some advise, again
Well it seems that all my 'hard' work over lockdown has paid off, car is mechanically sound, however, it has failed on Emissions.
This is the first MOT while in my ownership, and I've never had an Emission fail on any of my previous cars, so not really sure what my next move is.
The garage has suggested it could be related to Lambda sensor and are going to check it out next week.
In the meanwhile is there anything else I could/should be looking at.
Other than as stated it could just need an Italian Tune then straight in for the MOT.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 Auto
Most likely it will be the Cat. Ken. Quite common on the 4 cyl. Z3s Have you got a copy of the Emissions Fail sheet they should give you?

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 Auto
I would seriously expect that to pass, the main reason it did not pass is because they were to lazy to test the engine oil temperature Ken. I would go back and insist that they test the oil temperature before carrying out the 2nd fast idle test. The gas analyzer would have prompted the tester to do that but they rarely do and cars fail when they should not. I notice that the emission sheet does not even carry the tester's name which is a big no-no in the eyes of VOSA. Also they did not read the engine speed (it was by passed too) so they likely did have the engine running at high enough revs. Is this your regular garage/test station Ken?

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 Auto
And that is why they should test the engine oil temperature IF it fails the 1st fast idle test. It really makes my p*** boil when these people don't do their job correctly.

Tony.

ViperKen

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
1998 1.9
I would seriously expect that to pass, the main reason it did not pass is because they were to lazy to test the engine oil temperature Ken. I would go back and insist that they test the oil temperature before carrying out the 2nd fast idle test. The gas analyzer would have prompted the tester to do that but they rarely do and cars fail when they should not. I notice that the emission sheet does not even carry the tester's name which is a big no-no in the eyes of VOSA. Also they did not read the engine speed (it was by passed too) so they likely did have the engine running at high enough revs. Is this your regular garage/test station Ken?

Tony.
Yeah, I have used them for the last 4 years without any problems