Manifold swap

Simon Blythe

Zorg Guru (I)
I recently took a gamble on a very cheap 2.8 which, touch wood, has turned out to be much better than expected and will make a nice car as its a long term project.

I had purchased a complete kit for my regular 2.8 but as its a tu engine the kit didn't fit. It was in process of being returned when my curious side kicked in.

Anyway as per the title, the manifolds were swapped so I wanted to give an overview of what's involved and help those thinking about it to decide one way or another.

This is the original manifold:

image.jpeg

This is the 2.5 - note the lack of pipe work attached to the manifold.

image.jpeg

Once the original is off it looks like this:

image.jpeg

Quite busy and somewhat scary to the less mechanically inclined. I'm an ex RAF fast jet mechanic and even I thought twice! However, I just can't help myself so I continued.

Removal is actually relatively straight forward the only advice i have is to take your time and be methodical it looks worse than it is. Secondly when you are removing the manifold bolts put a bit of tape in the socket head so it "grabs" the nut stopping it falling away into the engine bay or worse - once the head is off put tissue in the ports...just in case!!

image.jpeg

You will hear talk of the last bolt next to the bulkhead being a pain to access, it's not.

image.jpeg

What you will need to do is remove the loom from the brackets, bend the brackets up and remove the passenger side bracket completely - don't worry it won't break! You can now access that last bolt. Removing the rest of the plumbing is self explanatory. The earlier pictures show what you'll be left with.

Now there are only ONLY two modifications you will need to do.

Firstly is to modify the IAT, file it down and put an M12 thread on it. Once that is done, screw it in with some gasket sealant. The upper one is the original.

image.jpeg

You will then need to plumb everything in - just follow the flow on the original manifold and replicate it with the fitting kit on the m50 one. The scary part comes due to the lack of ports in the M50 manifold however, once done it should look something like this:

image.png

image.png

Basically there is one port and 2 vacuum connections. The one on the manifold is for the fuel vacuum, the second one will be on the connector into the manifold itself and is for the charcoal canister.

Note this will need to be stepped down from 8mm to 4mm, use an inline connector as one hose fits in the other - the connector acts as a strengthener and you can put a small clip, along with gasket sealant, to make it air tight.

image.jpg

When you fit the new manifold you won't be able to reuse the original brackets the help secure it to the engine block - you won't need them. When connected with the T piece and silicon hoses it will all be held in place and you can secure it after fitting. You will need to fit a bracket to the manifold to hold the dip stick in place. You and also use this bracket to tie wrap the ICV in place too. The oil breather sits on the block and is fine. Brackets can be fabricated and fitted afterwards - once you've done the install you'll be amazed at how quickly you can remove and refit it.

image.jpg

Once it's all back together, air box, throttle cables etc you need to turn your attention to the fuel rail. You will need to remove one bracket and cut part of the other. Remove this holder/bracket.

image.jpg

And remove the right hand edge as you look at it on this one.

image.jpg

The fuel rail will sit lower than the fittings on the manifold so use some bent sheet metal or spacers to hold it securely.

You will also hear talk of "bending" the fuel pipes. You will need to to allow them to clear the manifold but not too much - be careful!!

image.jpg

Unless you purchased an ECU also (apparently it adapts) you can drive the car and check for leaks. I purchased the ECU too so felt the benefit straight away.

First drive was to prove the install check for leaks etc. To be honest I wasn't sure what all the fuss was about however, I only tickled the throttle plus for some reason I was expecting the performance of my 330d - probably because I've been thinking of this engine in a Z3. Today was a slightly different story, she got ragged and then I got what all the fuss is about and why people do this upgrade.

Firstly the exhaust note is very different, much more gravelly and throaty but hollow sounding at the same time. The car is definately more purposeful in its power delivery and it encourages and almost grades youintto driving it hard! The talk of the power above 4000rpm is justified because there is more and the delivery doesn't stop. For me the car is now a proper roadster in both the way it sounds and drives. Would I recommend it? Most definately. Will I keep it on the car? Absolutely!! Will I sell my first Zed? Quite possibly!!!

In reality you can get away with just the manifold, adaptor plate and some brass piping and silicone hose and let the ECU adapt - remember to have the adaptations reset. This will keep the costs down that's for sure. It may be worth checking your local breaker for a 2.5 E46 - they may sell the manifold for just a few pounds if you are lucky.

In the days to come I'll add more detail about the install but if anyone wants to discuss or ask questions then pm me and we can exchange numbers. Hope this write up helps.

PS - make sure you get the right manifold

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Great work and a good write up many are interested in this mod and nice to hear first hand of a successful install :thumbsup:

Reactions: Lee

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Excellent write-up and sounds like good gains, deffinately not for the light hearted :wideyed: I'll stick to cleaning, being an ex RAF Fireman, I'm good at that ;)

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Great write up. Is the manifold you pictured with the part number the correct one for regular M52B28 or for the TU engine?

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
If i remember correctly the holes line up with the m50 manifold its just has to have a plate as it is rubber gaskit to rubber gaskit so the plate allows the dual seal .

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
Great write up. :thumbsup:

Simon Blythe

Zorg Guru (I)
Some more pics of the fitting kit so you can see what you need.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Almost forgot to mention, make sure you clean out you crank case breather and really blow it though. The amount of gunk and water that came out was horrendous!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Bazza

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Fantastic wright-up thanks for that:thumbsup:

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Thanks for a great write up. This has been well up my list for a long time. I'm trying to land a manifold at sensible money. People know the difference it makes so prices for the M50 have shot up. I'll have to be patient until I land an affordable one.

Simon Blythe

Zorg Guru (I)
Quick update for those following the thread.

I ran the car on a few 5 miles warm up blasts now and the bottom line is - if you are thinking about swapping your manifold, do it now!!! Forget about Christmas presents for the kids, Valentine's Day dinner dates, paying the mortgage or stopping to help old ladies get off a bus - get a manifold! In a slight incline albeit wet, the back end lit up at 40mph in 2nd gear, just saying

Last edited:

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Quick update for those following the thread.

I ran the car on a few 5 miles warm up blasts now and the bottom line is - if you are thinking about swapping your manifold, do it now!!! Forget about Christmas presents for the kids, Valentine's Day dinner dates, paying the mortgage or stopping to help old ladies get off a bus - get a manifold! In a slight incline albeit wet, the back end lit up at 40mph in 2nd gear, just saying
On the list :thumbsup: I'll sell the offspring ;)

duckhunt

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and just got my first z3, 2.8 so I plan this too.

Just wanted to chip in and say you will massively benefit from a remap after doing this. I did it on my e36 328 Coupe, got it remapped a few months after the mod, and the difference was again a big step up from the hardware swap. It made 229bhp on the rolling road and I can't remember the figures but felt a lot more tourqey. The ecu needs to be reprogrammed to most effectively use all the extra airflow. If you can find a tuner that does bmws they should be familiar with the mod and know what to do. It's a fantastic mod and the remap really takes the m52 up to the next level. Cheers, Sam.