M52tu B28 to M54 330i manifold swap.why

Rha

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 coupe sport.
Lots of can it can't it, will it won't it threads on this subject so decided to indulge and late summer found a nice clean looking 330i manifold in local scrap yard, bare manifold with just the original mani gasket set still on. Had to put the fitting of this mani on hold till this winter cos my new suspension arrived late summer. Searched and found an adapter plate on eBay by (Polish) Bimmertune, it seems the problem most 2.8 owners are having is that this swap is not as common as the single vanos engine produced up til 1999 which uses the 2.5 manifold. Not sure why it was believed that there was no way to change manifold on 2.8tu's but knew of at least a couple of owners of the tu's had gone down the 330i route and were happy with the results, so knowing mine is a June 1999 M52tu B28 Idecided to have a go. Although I haven't finished the swap yet I'm well pleased with the fit of my thottle body to the mani and Compareing the two manifolds there's doesn't seem to be any reason it won't go straight on. The obvios thing to look out for is the possible differant TBs this model might have come with and so long as it's the same as mine (in the pics) the Bimmertune adapter works real well. Two points to look out for so far are the way the 10mm thick adapter plate pushes the TB away from the engine, first one is, it very slightly fouls the Idle Control Valve rubber sleeve which I got over by relieving part of this sleeve where it touched, which was making it nigh on impossible to get the thread started on the top left TB mounting bolt( just imagine trying to get it started when fitting it whilst the mani is already fitted to the engine) the second one was the alignment from the thottle cable rubber mount to the actuator which was to me a little tight so bent up these two metal prongs 6-8mm thus relieving the angle slightly. Other than that the adapter plate was sealed with some gasket cement even though it has a rubber sealing ring, just for peace of mind. Here is some pics to keep all you 2.8tu owners interested. Hope to finish off shortly if the weather holds out.

Pic 1. All tools out just in case of probs, just hoping it stayed dry, it did but was only 4deg.

IMG_0923.JPG

Nice clean 330i mani, scrappy must have given it a blast with pressure washer, no oily bits anywhere.might even take it into the bosses kitchen. Lol "no" I didn't run over the broom in the first pic, it's my wheel chock.
IMG_0859.JPG

This is how well the bimmertune adapter fits. Notice the new CCV I've fitted and also notice how close the ICV rubber looks to the adapter plate.
IMG_0911.JPG
L

Took ages to get the mani off, so many connections underneath that can't be seen, inspection mirror
with light is a god send. Notice I've labled most of them in case the job goes over weeks cos of the weather.
Didn't have to disconnect the fuel rail from fuel pipes plus managed to get mani off without removing dip stick tube as well. My back is telling me that I should have used a stool to reach over the engine bay,
IMG_0924.JPG

This one shows where the TB fouls the ICV rubber making it real hard to thread this bolt, rubber has been relieved at point of contact by about 5-6mm.
IMG_0912.JPG

The two pronged cable mount that I bent upwards 6-8mm to relieve the cable angle to actuator.
IMG_0909.JPG

If you have a TB the same as this you'll be adle to use the bimmertune adapter.
IMG_0918.JPG

So far it's the extra 10mm thickness of the adapter plate that's been a slight prob, let's hope it doesn't throw up any more on the refitting to the engine.
This pic shows what could have been the need for a new engine had I not seen it ready to jump into one of the open ports when I pulled mani off. Can't be without a magnet retriever in this line of work.
IMG_0922.JPG

BBTB ordered from Riot Racing won't fit my car so had to be sent back, they apparently don't do one for the 2.8tu with my type of TB so will try other avenues for one. Be warned the import duty for RR BBTB was £88.
Makes it real xpensive if you don't get your old unit back to them on time.
More pics if weather holds shortly.
Rha, Roy.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Good work Roy. Hope your back ache is soon forgotten mate.:)

Tony.

Rha

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 coupe sport.
Good work Roy. Hope your back ache is soon forgotten mate.:)

Tony.
Thanks Tony, just hope the weather is going to hold out. Still got the injectors to clean and the coolant temp sender unit to change, some of the pipes look and feel ok but maybe change em while it's out.
Roy.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
If you're in any doubt about them mate, you might not get an easier chance to replace them. Looks like you might get wet tomorrow though.

Tony.

ps. Nice save with the magnet too ........................ been there, done that.

Rha

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 coupe sport.
If you're in any doubt about them mate, you might not get an easier chance to replace them. Looks like you might get wet tomorrow though.

Tony.

ps. Nice save with the magnet too ........................ been there, done that.
Just knew you'd had that awfull "what if I hadn't noticed It" feeling.
Could do small jobs with motor fully in lockup Tony, but as you can see with all the room the tools take up I'd be tripping over myself doing this one, plus there's no sub for natural light.
Keeping my fingers crossed for w/e, would really like to finish it soonest.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
You do need good lighting to do those type of jobs mate, so let's hope it stays dry and bright for you.

Tony.

Reactions: Rha

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Top work Roy looks like its all coming together its been a while in the planning but hopefully more than worth the effort for sure.
Looking forward to the results , hope all goes well and that back doesn't give you too much jip !! :thumbsup:

Rha

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 coupe sport.
Top work Roy looks like its all coming together its been a while in the planning but hopefully more than worth the effort for sure.
Looking forward to the results , hope all goes well and that back doesn't give you too much jip !! :thumbsup:
Won't know if back is gonna play up till the morning Ant, but got plenty of Cuprafen so should be ok.
Shame about the BBTB but there must be someone out there that does one, won't be getting it re-mapped until I can find one. What a fiddle arse job with all those nuts and spring clips trying to fall under the engine not to mention the never ending elect connections hidden underneath. Can't wait to get it sorted.

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
It'll be worth it mate along with all your other mods the remap will hopefully produce good results.
A little more delving into the bbtb hopefully will come up trumps and deliver.

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Is there a bigger diameter in the adapter plate to allow for the BBTB's diameter or will it restrict it ?
Have you cross referenced your tb in real oem to see if it matches a later car ?
The Riot site seems to have a fair few.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Great work Roy. be interested to see what gains you get going forward. Hope it stays dry for you mate.

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
Great thread @Rha :p
Great read :)

Rha

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 coupe sport.
Is there a bigger diameter in the adapter plate to allow for the BBTB's diameter or will it restrict it ?
Have you cross referenced your tb in real oem to see if it matches a later car ?
The Riot site seems to have a fair few.
Well funny you should ask this Ant, the TB adapter plate is only made to fit the OEM TB to the 330i manifold and when I fitted the BBTB it looked/felt just right diameter size wise then when I offered up the standard one it also seems a good fit. Now when the calipers came out there was between 2-2.5mm differance and RR claimed 4mm so you can see that in real terms the differance isn't that significant. However they claim a 8rwhp in some/most cases when fitted to standard manifold. So maybe the claimed increase is a little over rated. Never the less I would still like to go down the BBTB route. Let's see what gains the mani on its own will yield which means I'll have to get it over to Luton for a dyno after 100 or so miles. Haven't spected my OEM TB but do know the one they sent me was for an early 5 series 2.8, they did realise mine was a tu after my query. They obviously know that the tu is a differant kettle of fish and to be fair to them I did make what now seems the wrong choice, neither did they say or offer a replacement that they manufacture.
Roy.

Rha

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 coupe sport.
I
Looks good mate. If you cant find the parts needed scribble what you need on a fag packet and I'll machine something up for you. I have a full machine shop at my disposal :D
Thanks Lee, but I reackon all I'm gonna need is a couple of metal hose clamps, 330imani really does look just the same as my old one with the exception of the original 330i diameter feed, Disa and chambers which are larger, would be good idea to use a 330i TB but because of the various differences in BMW TBs, IMHO it just wouldn't work unless you changed the wiring throughout to enable the computer to manage it, will certainly let you know if your machinery skills would help in any way. Thank you.

Roy.

mwpe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
Good work going on there Roy, very interesting thread. :thumbsup:

the Nefyn cat

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Actually in Nefyn. My, that took a while.
Model of Z
2.2i Sport
Just as a matter of interest, was there a pipe attached to the little stubby bit on the CCVV? Changed mine a while ago, but couldn't see anything there, and somehow doesn't seem right to have a leak to atmosphere from there.