Help Needed

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Can any one tell me what relay i need for the heated seats in a pre facelift i know the wiring is there and have ordered the switches but i know there is a relay also that fits in the fuse box under the bonnet to complete the circuit.
I think its a four pin orange relay but can anyone confirm this?
Tried looking through real oem but can not definitively find the answer and help appreciated as always.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
On my prefacelift I just fitted the seats and switches and they worked.
I think I read somewhere the facelift needed relays but not prefacelift. Can't be 100% sure as its a few years ago now...

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
When i fitted the last ///M interior to be 96 prefacelift it definatly needed a relay. They may work but i know i brought everything wired it up and it was dead until i plugged a relay into the system.
The seats have relays fitted under them but i think they will control temp etc.
Will know when i get switches but wanting to be prepared !

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
When i fitted the last ///M interior to be 96 prefacelift it definatly needed a relay. They may work but i know i brought everything wired it up and it was dead until i plugged a relay into the system.
The seats have relays fitted under them but i think they will control temp etc.
Will know when i get switches but wanting to be prepared !
I think Andy (SFIAC) will be your man Ant, last post regarding relays I seem to remember him posting a picture of a box of relays which he has.

Tony.

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Yeah i remember him having loads just not sure on which i need does you 3 have heated seats ?

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
The relay is the unloaded relay which is situated in the fuse box under the bonnet, sometimes these are fitted for other options, lift the fuse box lid off and you should see reference to it on the fuse box legend.

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
I believe its an orange relay situated at the bottom right when you look at the fuse box just looking to see if any reference to it is in the manual. Im sure its a 4 pin and im sure other things use the same relay.

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Taken from elsewhere but written by me :)

Here is the layout of the your fusebox with relays: -

Here is the circuit diagram for the rear heated window defogger: -

peterandjenny said:
another site mentions that the same relay does the rear screen and heated seats but still unsure which one :head:
This depends whether you have an early production car or late production car. My car is a 1.9 1998 (feb build - early build) and robert has a 1.9 1999 (late build), the change over date is somewhere in between.

Unloader Relay

Early Production cars the unloader relay is for the heated seats and not for the rear window defogger.

Late production cars the unloader relay is for the rear window defogger and not for the heated seats.

There was a design change in the switch types, it seems that this was not just for cosmetic purposes, the pre-post swich types will have significantly differant amperage ratings.

The unloader relay is a 4 pin change over relay with terminal nos 30, 85, 86 & 87. I was unable to find referance to an exact part number when looking for my relay, when looking at realoem, I could only find one relay with the correct terminal numbers which is part 3 below.

(pins 85 & 86 are the relay coil, Pin 30 and 87 are the contact pair, pin 30 being the supply from Fuse 6, 20amp)

I searched on ebay and found this with the discontinued part number and this with the current part number.

The above links to ebay show the differant colours were simply because of a part number change, this maybe reflected a differant rating. The orange relay is 30amps, not sure what the light blue unit is.

HTH

Brian

Last edited:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Yeah i remember him having loads just not sure on which i need does you 3 have heated seats ?
Yes it does Ant, do you want to come and try some?

Tony.

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Thanks @Brian H thats the relay i thought will check and see what is fitted in the car they are only a few quid.
Incidently do all cars have a rear defogger?
I have a switch between the seats it lighys but i never hear a blower i thought it was a hard top heater switch as i think its had on fitted at some point in its life.

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Thanks @t-tony i think i'll be ok switchs coming from france so be a few days and will have to have the console out to find the wiring i think they where to the rear of the car last time i fitted heated seats,
Have fitted the seats into the car all works and all the plugs are correct so it should be plug and play need to find the wiring to the 4 pin heated seat plug to see whats an earth and whats a live i imagine there are two lives and two earths a pair per heater element as i have replaced a pad want to check the feed and earth are correct before i power the element its easy to swap over but with the switches and relays in i can check it easily with a multi meter ...

Last edited:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Thanks @t-tony i think i'll be ok switchs coming from fance so be a few days and will have to have the console out to find the wiring i think they where to the rear of the car last time i fitted heated seats,
Have fitted the seats into the car all works and all the plugs are correct so it should be plug and play need to find the wiring to the 4 pin heated seat plug to see whats an earth and whats a live i imagine there are two lives and two earths a pair per heater element as i have replaced a pad want to check the feed and earth are correct before i power the element its easy to swap over but with the switches and relays in i can check it easily with a multi meter ...
Ok mate, no worries. That may be something I might look at on my car some where down the road a bit.

Tony.

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Just had a quick look and i have relays fitted to every position in the fuse box so they may work.
It may be slightly different to my first zed as that was a single vanos and the wiring was different in lay out and this one is a double vanos so will check for feeds when i get the switches ....Fingers crossed :thumbsup:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Would be good if they plug in and work straight off mate.

Tony.

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Yeah it would will soon know as said there is nothing missing from the fuse box no open ports, everything has a relay so its promising.

smiffy

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 pre-facelift in Montreal Blue
it does say "hard top connector" on the drawing! cĺue is in the name.:happy: