Headlight Switch - Be warned.

Gremlin

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 1.9
This switch is the same as I have in my Z3 I'm assuming the big chrome head light switch.

pgunter

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
2.2i Sport Zedshed Special
This switch is the same as I have in my Z3 I'm assuming the big chrome head light switch.
Yes that is the switch as shown in the first photograph and post.

Davyhoogy

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
'98 2.8 z3
Mine was always intermittent so I pulled it out at the weekend to a pile of dust. I had a spare one which is still dusty but not as bad. Works 100% of the time so that will have to do. Good save

pgunter

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
@Davyhoogy Seems this post has bought a few issues to the surface on a few zeds. Which is why the forum is a good resource for such things.

Jjim

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster
Great write up with detail and pics :thumbsup:

Will have a check on mine now.

Does help that I don't take the Zed out in the dark.

Cooper

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
3.0i 2001
I pulled mine out last night as it will often leave the parkers on. Tapped it out and blew it out, then dripped rubbing alcohol through it. Dried, seems good now. Only a bit of white dust came out of it BTW.

Wilko58

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Individual Fiji Green
I pulled mine out last night as it will often leave the parkers on. Tapped it out and blew it out, then dripped rubbing alcohol through it. Dried, seems good now. Only a bit of white dust came out of it BTW.
Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but when you say it sometimes leaves your parkers on is that both sides or only one i.e. nearside or offside? If it's the latter, then they come on by leaving the indicator on when you switch off the engine - it becomes a night time marker light (meant to be roadside).

Cooper

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
3.0i 2001
Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but when you say it sometimes leaves your parkers on is that both sides or only one i.e. nearside or offside? If it's the latter, then they come on by leaving the indicator on when you switch off the engine - it becomes a night time marker light (meant to be roadside).
Cool, I did not know that! The switch was faulty [I never use the indicators when reversing into my garage lol]. I had to pull the knob out then 'slam' it back in on most occasions. The lights would then turn off properly. It was so annoying.

Once again thanks for the tip on the markers, I am going to give that a try!

Nigel Hewart

Dedicated Member
Would you believe it driving along the dual carriage way and my mileometer trip meter started to flash then noticed a bad electrical smell in the car so we pulled over and noticed the light switch smoking and very hot, switched the lights off and carried on.
Going to order a new switch and fit this ASAP.
Thanking zroadster for the info I have read above.
Regards Nigel

Wilko58

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
I've got a headlight switch in excellent condition (chrome version) £25 plus postage if you are interested.

pgunter

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
@Nigel Hewart as these cars get older this will be one of those things needing to be checked on an annual inspection. Glad you found it before it was a bigger issue.

Oddly Godly

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
z3 2.8
And so it does, once you put a little bit more effort into it. I was worried the chrome plastic would smash, but it didn't. It was quite a fiddle persuading the switch/air vent assembly out of the hole, but I find that my panel lamp rheostat is also rogered. Loads of white dust, scratchy sounds and dash lights going off half the time. I've just been to the local BMW dealer and he will get me a new one for tomorrow. It cost £102.13. Still, if it prevents the car going on fire..........
Is the £102 for the whole thing its cheaper than I thought it would be from a main dealer. I have seen them on ebay second hand for £70.

TaffDaddy

Zorg Guru (III)
I've been having an issue for a while with my battery draining with a week of the car being parked up even after changing the battery. The strange thing was that the the warning buzzer would come on when I swiched the ignition off even though there were no lights. When it was up on a ramp recently I noticed that the number plate lights were staying on which made me think of the issues raised on here about the switch failing.

So I took the switch out and found the issue

20201128_110449.jpg
20201128_110444.jpg

Replaced the switch and now all good. I also found a lot of white dust which others have said.

Nigel Hewart

Dedicated Member
Well done for spotting that, mine started by flickering the trip meter followed by a strong smell of electrical burning and smoke.
Same issue faulty switch.

Nigel Hewart

Dedicated Member
Hi all
The saga of the light switch continues.
Firstly I bought a good secondhand switch to replace the faulty one,that lasted a couple of days so I purchased a new one again that lasted a couple of days.
The fault I have is my dash lights do not work after a couple of days.
I have checked the electrical connector and this has some minor damage from the original fault.
Any ideas why this keeps doing this and anyhelp would be appreciated.
Regards Nigel

Wilko58

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
Hi all
The saga of the light switch continues.
Firstly I bought a good secondhand switch to replace the faulty one,that lasted a couple of days so I purchased a new one again that lasted a couple of days.
The fault I have is my dash lights do not work after a couple of days.
I have checked the electrical connector and this has some minor damage from the original fault.
Any ideas why this keeps doing this and anyhelp would be appreciated.
Regards Nigel
Sorry to hear you are still having problems Nigel. It's possible that the connector has an internal fault that is shorting or overloading the switch. It might be worth splicing on a connector or get an auto electrician to change it.