Front Suspension Brace

Paul H Johnson

British Zeds
Model of Z
3, 2.8 auto
Hi all. Some more advice please. Does anyone know if a front brace is worth the money & effort to install or are they just a large bit of cosmetic bling that shines when the bonnet is opened ??? If they are any good, can someone recommend a make or supplier. My Z is a 1997 2.8 auto.
Thanks in advance !!!
Paul J

Eddie Zedder

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.0
Or is it! ;)

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
If your bushes and shocks are tired it helps stiffen everything, otherwise just bling :)

Delk

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 real widebody
I drive lumpy bumpy Norfolk farm tracks and the brace is noticeable. I just have a cheap one that isn't very bling but it does seam that the front doesn't shake as much on rough roads.

Chris Hunter

Zorg Legend
Supporter
My two penny worth. It is a accepted fact that saloon cars usually handle better than open top cars due to the hard top minimising body flexing. So it follows that if a Z open top can be stiffened it has to be a good thing. This was recognised by BMW by the fitting of the front X brace. Fitting a strut top brace is the next step in stiffening. However the Z, not having a full rear subframe with wish bones to control wheel alignment,is subject to body flex. This flex cannot be eliminated, but can be minimised by fitting a but strut to tie the left and right sides together at the rear so that lateral cornering forces are shared by both vertical cross tube bushes thus minimising axle shift. Further improvement can come from longitudinal tie rods which prevent excessive for and aft axle shift on acceleration or braking. These mods cannot eliminate all body torsional flexing but they certainly improved my car.

Paul H Johnson

British Zeds
Model of Z
3, 2.8 auto
Hi all, many thanks for your advice. As I only intend to use my Z for cruising, I'm being to think there's not much need to stiffen the suspension. If I was going racing, I'd do it, but its not worth trying to race an auto !!!!
Rgds.
Paul J

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
The BMW " Butt strut" is not only connected across the car, but also front to rear too. It's a very heavy chunk(s) of steel.

Tony.

bear2020

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 3.0 & Z4 2.5
I drive lumpy bumpy Norfolk farm tracks and the brace is noticeable. I just have a cheap one that isn't very bling but it does seam that the front doesn't shake as much on rough roads.
Living in the same county I know exactly what you mean! Even the van struggles to absorb some of the ruts and bumps we have in the roads!

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
As said just bling if your suspension is in good nick it adds nothing unless you are a hardent track day hooner then it may well give some advantage.

JimS

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 G29 30i
I had a mate once that had a 1980 Lancia Beta coupe. For some reason he decided to drive round without a bonnet for a few days and I was surprised how much the strut towers flexed and moved around while driving along. That's what strut braces are for, to minimise suspension top mount movement affecting camber and caster angles.
It was an old car (and being a Lancia, probably rusty as well) and car shells are much stiffer nowadays, so probably not as relevant with more modern designs, certainly not much benefit for road use.