BMW Z8 Replica Kit Using a BMW Z4 Roadster as a Base

Rev

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Hugh,

We seem to have a similar taste in colour!

This sits in my garage at the moment. I wonder what Badboy will make of that!

This though is a picture of it in a garage... not mine I hasten to add!

DSCF7557.JPG

B

badman gee

I don't dislike all kit cars but that z4 to z8 I'm not keen on!

Rev

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Haha. It's a 26 year old factory built car 1700 BDR Cosworth HPC. I was once again pulling your leg. In the Caterham world it's a classic. To many just a kit. Once again beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The cars a time warp as it's been in storage for all it's life and never run in anger. Very few miles.

It's a bit of a reverse kit now though as I've virtually taken it apart. Parts strewn everywhere. In the cellar, the kitchen, and across the garage floor. Really enjoying myself, (Wife's not!) but it'll grind to a halt until the autumn soon as I'm busy with other things. No rush though. I'll get it registered next year sometime.

When I get it done I'll bring it over and give you a fright with it!

I can honestly see why people do kits and conversions. It's always a pleasure to have something to tinker with in the garage. Sitting watching the TV I find as dull as can be. The feeling of satisfaction you'd get at putting all those bits together is a mighty good "High!".

Also one mans meat is another mans poison, and although we might not care for a "Z8 Kit" if it gives someone pleasure who's to argue. I'd love to see someone do it. Nice cars are nice cars. If they paint it silver we could run a spot the difference competition.

:)

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Well said Nick, I've been following this thread with interest whilst I'm off work with a very bad ear infection. The Z4 at the top isn't really a kit car but it is very modified to say the least. Personally I like the look of it because I know fullwell that I will never be able to afford a Z8 without being selfish and selling the Florida villa ( fat chance of that happening) so it would be fairly close to the look of the real thing.
IT's not pretending to be something it isn't so I don't see the harm it does. Seems strange that the same type of cars seen on here recently haven't provoked the same discussion.

My opinion only, one of many differing ones. Harry Callahan once said " Opinions are like ar......les, everyone's got one."

Certainly not worth falling out over.

The Caterham looks like an awesome bit of fun Nick.

Cheers, Tony.

smiffy

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 pre-facelift in Montreal Blue
James Bond didn't complain about driving, and wrecking, a fibreglass replica!

just think, if you built a replica, you could fit the pop-out rocket launchers!

I like it.

littlefeller

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
the only problem in owning a car like a z8 is you would be too terrified to get it out of the garage, what if a bird crapped on it:eek:, or you pick up a trolley ding:mad: or worse, the kit needs wire wheels then it would look flippin ace, i like kitcars anyhow so i am biased.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
What you really need is a Z3 kit for a Z4 then you can have the more modern platform and niceties in a retro beautiful body which make a nice daily. (Then when you really fancy a proper drive you can get the real Z3 out the garage on the weekened(!)

I like this but would prefer a 'tribute' Z8 that takes the best bits (like the rear, front of Z8 could be more beautiful I think) and make its own rather than exact copy. Not that anyone can remember what an actual Z8 looks like in the wild, I've only ever seen one in the wild (in Harrietsham Kent). I've actually seen more Pagani Zondas and Koeniseggs than Z8s!

Z

zedonist

Stop the press...new body kit just unveiled, it is based on a BMW Z3 as a donor...and will transform any BMW Z3 into a replica of a BMW Z3...This should please the purists, expecting lots of sales of this...pictures below of the first one...

2001_BMW_Z3_Sideview_Topdown_Topaz_Blue_2.5i.jpg

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
That'll never sell, not with that rear, you need the proper rear end for a proper kit!:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wider and lower the better!

Last edited:

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
The original lotus 7 was sold as a kit car by Colin Chapman. It was a great success then as it still is today.

Mike

Stormy_be

Zorg Guru (II)
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
Some kit cars are factory build....what is the difference between a factory build kit car and for example a TVR? The quality of finish might even be better in the kit car then the TVR.

2DunnsZ3

Zorg Guru (I)
American Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 5 speed roadster
Easy to say from a privileged position and if it makes them happy what's the problem .im a believer in being happy as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.
very well put and I agree completely