1999 Z3 2.8 winter project

D0nni

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Nice update so gratifying once refurbished. I bought some of these

SurePromise Double Clips Brake Line Hose Pipe Fastener Retaining Brackets 10/20/40 pcs (10 pcs) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JZJN...abc_BYB1S99WPBCWDTT1DT0B?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have some spares how many you need? If not to many pm me your address and I’ll post them to you.
Kind offer Althulas. The genuine answer is I don't actually know lol. I was going to replace them all on the rear sub. How many is there? I've them all off at present? Best guess is 4-6? I'll take any charity going atm (see below)

What's the lead time on those you suggested? You remember?

Also the dick that I am broke another rear drive shaft. Straight in first one. Took wrong cap off again.

received_483591553052365.jpeg

Ruined. Doh! Drive shafts alone have cost me £260 in stupidity so far. Plus to add salt as you can see they are different (my original is left, replacement is right) , next replacements coming are getting a quick check and if ok they getting cleaned up and slotted in. Fed up arseholing around breaking driveshafts 🤣 also for record. Wtf is that cap not a replaceable part? Surely someone somewhere knows where they can be sourced?

D0nni

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Great car these, great to see another in NI! I’m in NI myself.
Where abouts? I'm Armagh. Frantically trying to get it finished now to blast it up the Mourne and Sperrin mountains and up round Donegal during our week summer lol

D0nni

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Anyone any of these knocking about no 5 (33411124945) cheapest I can lay my hand on is eBay at 11.79 which is ridiculous for a washer.

Screenshot_20210407-193655~2.png

Would this fit?

Screenshot_20210407-203341.png

D0nni

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
OK so. The rear subframe fun continues with more of my inherited irish stupiditity. *Disclaimer: mechanic who pushed the hub in also didnt spot this booboo either*

Was sitting after id got the handbrake shoes all made up. discs on. all set out nicely on the floor admiring the near closing point of a long journey. Standing with a caliper in my hand ready to put into the brake disc when i see it...... (handbrake cable there just to keep out of road)

172951897_482309596285778_2543911508266974977_n.jpg

Heart sinks. Called mechanic - whole things going to need pressed out (will probably burst the bearings) hes flat out for next 3 weeks. have another guy i use, his press is banjoed. left me with no option.....

174128515_3638212189617250_1396865379997224675_n.jpg

I must admit I'm not pleased with myself for doing it. however at the same time, I'm not sorry for doing it either. I wasn't going to wait another potentially 3 weeks to get this rebuilt again. Clocks ticking and I want some summer fun in it before the Irish weather comes through.

So here we are.. I've a later picture of it built and bolted but the camera has a shocking flash so looks like crap. will get a better one this evening to update.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-15 at 20.37.24.jpeg

All I've to do now with this saga Mazza's Tank Straps and then fight with this bastad to get her in! should be fun! Looking forward to seeing her on 4 wheels again not going to lie. Very interested in seeing what her stance is like with the 30mm drop its getting

Anyone whos been following - have a we skirt back to see the state this was in a few months ago. very pleased to be here now @Lee has been a great help (and does 100% not agree with what i done above - i could feel the disgust when i told him what i done lol) but need must!

Left on the shopping list/Todo list:

Catalytic Converter/Backbox (if anyone knows anyone breaking a whole unit id consider it if good shape)
Sills
Front Panels
Fuel Line to the Fuel Filter (maguiver fix in atm - rusted at one of the clamps)
Put replacement passenger door on
Oil Filter / oil change.
Power steering oil change - Getting mechanic to do when fitting new exhaust
Attempt the diff oil change - if top nut doesn't open then going to have to ignore
New air intake pipe (noticed a crack in current one)
Brake fluid

I think above sees me out which I hopefully should have all purchased in a few weeks time.

The bill has fairly crept up over the months - not going to say what its stung me but I shouldn't have tallied it up. o_O
the multiple drive shafts was my most expensive mistake - £260 total (dismanted wrong cap - no replacement - got replacement shafts - instantly done the same mistake again - had to get another replacement set - its been fun! **keep telling myself this it doesnt feel so painful**)

** is a spare wheel a requirement for an MOT? **

Delk

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 real widebody
Getting towards the end always feels good. A spare is not required for the MOT. If you have one it has to be safe and usable but if you don't have one it doesn't matter.

D0nni

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Success!

3hrs later it's up and in.

Need to tidy cabling and brake lines etc and sort the handbrakes out but my god am I pleased with myself. Diff needs a we clean down. Been sitting gathering dust for about 5-6 months lol

IMG-20210416-WA0047.jpgIMG-20210416-WA0044.jpgIMG-20210416-WA0042.jpgIMG-20210416-WA0048.jpgIMG-20210416-WA0046.jpg

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
OK so. The rear subframe fun continues with more of my inherited irish stupiditity. *Disclaimer: mechanic who pushed the hub in also didnt spot this booboo either*

Was sitting after id got the handbrake shoes all made up. discs on. all set out nicely on the floor admiring the near closing point of a long journey. Standing with a caliper in my hand ready to put into the brake disc when i see it...... (handbrake cable there just to keep out of road)

View attachment 178587

Heart sinks. Called mechanic - whole things going to need pressed out (will probably burst the bearings) hes flat out for next 3 weeks. have another guy i use, his press is banjoed. left me with no option.....

View attachment 178589

I must admit I'm not pleased with myself for doing it. however at the same time, I'm not sorry for doing it either. I wasn't going to wait another potentially 3 weeks to get this rebuilt again. Clocks ticking and I want some summer fun in it before the Irish weather comes through.

So here we are.. I've a later picture of it built and bolted but the camera has a shocking flash so looks like crap. will get a better one this evening to update.

View attachment 178591

All I've to do now with this saga Mazza's Tank Straps and then fight with this bastad to get her in! should be fun! Looking forward to seeing her on 4 wheels again not going to lie. Very interested in seeing what her stance is like with the 30mm drop its getting

Anyone whos been following - have a we skirt back to see the state this was in a few months ago. very pleased to be here now @Lee has been a great help (and does 100% not agree with what i done above - i could feel the disgust when i told him what i done lol) but need must!

Left on the shopping list/Todo list:

Catalytic Converter/Backbox (if anyone knows anyone breaking a whole unit id consider it if good shape)
Sills
Front Panels
Fuel Line to the Fuel Filter (maguiver fix in atm - rusted at one of the clamps)
Put replacement passenger door on
Oil Filter / oil change.
Power steering oil change - Getting mechanic to do when fitting new exhaust
Attempt the diff oil change - if top nut doesn't open then going to have to ignore
New air intake pipe (noticed a crack in current one)
Brake fluid

I think above sees me out which I hopefully should have all purchased in a few weeks time.

The bill has fairly crept up over the months - not going to say what its stung me but I shouldn't have tallied it up. o_O
the multiple drive shafts was my most expensive mistake - £260 total (dismanted wrong cap - no replacement - got replacement shafts - instantly done the same mistake again - had to get another replacement set - its been fun! **keep telling myself this it doesnt feel so painful**)

** is a spare wheel a requirement for an MOT? **
Hey mate, NO you do not have to have a spare wheel for MOT. IF it is present and fitted under the car however it's attachment becomes part of the test. The tyre itself can ONLY be advised if it's in poor condition.

Hope you get a decent summer out of it this year!

Tony

D0nni

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Got the brake lines done and the rear sub all tightened up. Had a bit of issue with one of the brake lines. Had to repipe and reflare but all good now.

Looked to see what was left to do and what can be done.

Got the rear bumper back on and lights in.

Lovely seeing that booty back again.

IMG-20210422-WA0010.jpeg

Things I can do now:
Change passenger door (replacement ready)
Fit door cards

Need to get replacement sills and panels now before can do anything else.

On the hunt. Want new but if good condition 2nd hand artic silver I'd seriously consider.

Mechanic:
Repair exhaust

Think once get that done we are ready for the MOT.

Wild it's nearly there. Body panels and we are in business. Been a long time coming.

D0nni

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Brake pipe run doesn't look quite right if you don't mind me saying. Great read. Did you tighten swinging arm bush bolts with the cars weight on the suspension, will twist and tear bushes otherwise. Will look great when panels on.
Nah in the pics the brake pipes are just sitting - not in final resting place. i tightened them but not full tight. just good hand tight.

D0nni

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
so been doing a few things last few days.

Got my exhaust "fixed" - its not the prettiest nor the best welding in the world (never held a welder in my life - always good to start upside down and under a petrol tank!) so given the circumstances I'm fairly happy with it.

178611254_290366302557144_8912616188274240152_n.jpg

it cleaned up better than that was still a few holes there at the time

Also went shopping on Wednesday and got some sills from my local BMW store - £280 for the pair which was pleased enough with. Went straight to the body shop and got the paint mixed, some lacquer and hardener.

179703224_489878492283059_5452863967052065243_n.jpg

Started the spraying this evening. Do another coat tomorrow then finish with lacquer on Saturday while the we man is taking his nap. Hopefully have sourced some very good condition panels too so that will finish out the body and can drop her back down onto four wheels!

179980919_309715447331092_4797102745782406259_n.jpg

Just need to stick her onto the computer and check error codes. Lambda sensor was flagging prior to all this so will need it changed. Might just give to mechanic to do while hes checking her over before put it into MOT cause looks like a right awkward bastad to take out and replace. Id initially thought of replacing whole exhaust system. It'll stay for now and maybe do that next winter after ive had a bit of fun in her.

D0nni

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Sills finally sprayed, clear coats and wet sanded down to 5k grit and polished. Can hopefully start the body build tomorrow or Thursday then all I need is the front wings.

IMG_20210504_205554.jpg

IMG_20210504_205613.jpg

IMG-20210504-WA0019.jpeg

(I'm correct in thinking I can put sills and all on then wings can be last thing placed on?)